III 3.7 Eleven clans

Joshua hurried through the corridors of Shailaja. The day had dawned so cloudy and passed so quickly that he didn't notice that twilight was approaching. It was Aravind's second day in the month of Aravind and that meant they should all be in the temple when Amandeep's last rays were hidden. As he listened to his quick footsteps against the stone, he looked through Shailaja's large stained-glass windows, wondering if they would also see a gale as strong as two days ago that night, too. But despite the afternoon darkness, the leaves on the trees did not move.

The temple was in the highest tower of the fortress. He ran up the long spiral staircase, and by the time he reached the top he was already panting. A long double iron door waited at the end of the corridor. He pushed it away and entered the crowded but silent circular room, with long, narrow stained-glass windows that cut through the stone, rising to the ceiling, where all twelve windows met, forming the star of Alim.

A loud thunder echoed, and the roar filled the temple as a torrential rain began to fall, its heavy drops slapping hard against the glass. Across the room Joshua caught sight of Liam and, stepping forward, stood beside him. All waited in silence, forming large circles of nobles, tutors, servants, cooks and guards. It was almost dark, and Joshua looked at Mr. Yezekael, who was a few feet away, on his other side, in the first circular row. But this one kept his eyes closed and rocked back and forth as if he danced a music only he could hear. This old man gets weirder every day, he thought. Scanning the rows, he came to the conclusion that, apart from some servant he didn't know, only Rariff wasn't there.

The minutes dragged by until, with a bang, the iron door opened again. Rariff entered the hall accompanied by Ker Elijah and a thin, lame man in a long robe with an Alim's star embroidered in silver thread. The priest Rahman was not old, but he walked slowly, aided by a long cane whose aged gold handle bore a miniature of the beautiful Arzhel bird. He stood by the door, where he placed his cane and, limping with difficulty, began to remove his shoes.

Rariff crossed the hall and placed himself between Joshua and Yezekael, while Ker Elijah took his place just behind the kaal.

The priest walked barefoot to the center of the circle, carrying a heavy basin. You must touch the earth with your bare feet, like the children of the Orange Tree, to address the gods with humility, Joshua recalled. For a moment, he wondered why they didn't need to remove their shoes themselves, but quickly thanked the gods that it wasn't necessary. Rahman approached the center of the room, where a stone fountain of still water lay. In the middle of the fountain, twelve rocks balanced, stacked from the largest to the smallest. He poured the water into the fountain and the liquid began to run around the pile. Another priest, a young, bearded man, approached and placed a candle on top of the smallest of the rocks. Eleven floating candles were placed on the water. As they were lighted, the flames cast long shadows that climbed up the temple walls, swirling as they were carried by the flow of water. Finally, Rahman lit the candle on top of the rocks and a powerful shadow was cast right in front of Rariff.

- We are in the presence of the gods - he announced.

Night had come and the only light that shone came from the candles. A priestess, wearing an earth-colored robe, made her way through the faithful to the fountain, where she poured out, careful not to touch the candles, orange blossoms that she was carrying in a basket.

- As the gods are a family, we will speak to them as the family we are - continued the lame man, balancing with effort. - Vashï Amadam, pour your peace on the children of the eleven clans.

A loud chorus followed as everyone repeated the priest's words.

Did I hear him right? Eleven clans? Joshua thought. For years we have said this prayer to the gods, always asking the ten clans for protection.