Where iron meets flesh

Nina's aches set in after dawn. An hour later, it felt as if her bones were trying to push through the places where her joints met.

Matthias sat beside her. He'd tried to take her hand, but the pain was too great. Everything looked wrong. Everything felt wrong. Her throat itched. Her skin felt like an enemy. All she could think and want is parem and parem alone.

When the tremors began, she begged Matthias to leave.

"I don't want you to see me like this," she said. "Don't give me another dose. Whatever I say, no matter how much I beg."

"Kuwei said the withdrawal could kill you. I won't let you die." Matthias told her.

Kuwei. Back at the treasury Matthias had said, He's one of us. She liked that word. Us. A word without divisions or borders. It seemed full of hope.

"Matthias," she said, running her fingers through his hair. It hurt. The world hurt. Touching him hurt, but she still did it. She might not ever get to again.

He took her hand and kissed her knuckles gently. She winced, but when he tried to pull away, she clutched him tighter.

"Stay," she panted. Tears leaked from her eyes. "Stay till the end."

"And after," he said. "And always."

➖➖➖➖➖

➖➖➖➖➖

As the schooner sped south, it was as if the whole crew was sitting vigil. Jesper was as worried about Nina as anyone but the respectful silence was hard to bear. He needed something to shoot at.

The Ferolind felt like a ghost ship. Matthias and Aeolian were caring for Nina, and Matthias couldn't understand half of what Kuwei said. So, Aeolian was always translating in between.

Matthias was more than grateful to have the pulchritudinous Shu girl around. From their first meeting, till date, she has been a priceless asset to the crew and her presence brought a sense of comfort and unity, even in the darkest times. She had helped them, fought for them and saved them, putting her own life on the line time and again. And the Fjerdan couldn't help but have a high sense of respect and likeness for her.

The only thing that weighted his heart was the thought of Brekker's presence in her life. Back at the Ice Court, Matthias had said, "I feel sorry for you, Brekker. There is nothing sacred in your life."

Kaz said, "You're wrong Helvar."

And at that very moment Matthias' knew what the infamous Dirtyhands hold sacred in his life. It was Aeolian and she was the beginning and the end of Kaz Brekker.