~*~

The feeling of running away was unexplainable. I loved the feeling of freedom as we entered down the beaten unpaved road laughing as the wind tore at us. I had in fact planned my escape so perfectly that as soon as the gate was open I could scurry into a deserted, rusty truck, figure out how it works and drive away never to be heard of again. The end happily ever after. Of course, luck was never on my side.

My memories of the escape are foggy. I remember arguing for the longest time with Alic trying to convince him that he didn't need to prove anything. Didn't need to prove the so-called rumor fake. Eventually, the argument subsided as he ran head straight into the gate. As the legends said, it was quite painful. I couldn't hear anything over my screams. Then I remember some guards pulling me away, trying to comfort me. How people found me I gave no idea.

There must have been some time between or until his funeral was arranged but I remember blank noise. I could see the people talking, their mouths moving big. I couldn't hear anything, nothing over my screams of horror and Alic telling me that everything would be okay.

For three years I was in this state. Over time it slowly got better. I slowly became more connected to the world. I started to observe what was happening around me.

With the betrothal in fact nothing ever happened to my greatest surprise. Me getting married was never mentioned though I could tell my mother was counting down the days till my marriage. Well, now it was only hours. Today was the three years later get married. Today was my sixteenth birthday, by the law of the town I was to be married, and whether I wanted to or not I didn't have a choice. Today wasn't only my birthday, it was his death.

~*~

Until next time, don't forget to vote :)