ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏɴᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰᴏᴜʀ

After years of hard work and sacrifices, you were finally graduating college. It took you a few tries to figure out what you really wanted to do but once you found it, you were sure you had made the right decision. You were officially an acquisitions editor, which meant that you were literally paid to read books. Not only were you done with school, the company where you had done your internship hired you before you had even graduated. You finished school with excellent grades and a job, you were proud of yourself and so were your friends. That's how you found yourself in a restaurant/bar on a Friday night. Usually Fridays were for takeouts and watching TV but your friends had been really clear that going out wasn't negotiable.

You have always been really shy, it's one of the reasons why you love books so much. You aren't really good at making friends, that's why you only have a few and you like it that way because you aren't a fan of big crowds and loud gatherings, unfortunately for you it's not something you could avoid tonight. Your friends had decided they were all bringing their significant other. You were the only single person of your group. It's not something that ever really bothered you, except for those moments when you were all together. That's when you really felt lonely.

Your friends chose a restaurant/bar so you could all have dinner together and then go dancing and drinking. You did neither of those things but you weren't going to complain. They were kind enough to want to celebrate with you.

The night had been going well, you were having fun and the food was really great. Your friends were talking amongst themselves and were kind of leaving you out of the conversation, but that's something you were used to. Their excuse was that you weren't in the same place in your life as they were and you couldn't relate. They weren't wrong, but they could have kept those topics of conversation for when you weren't around.

You were still eating when one of your friends suggested they go dancing and they were gone in 5 seconds, leaving you to finish eating alone.

The smile that you had been sporting all night quickly faded. Truthfully, you would have had a lot more fun if you had stayed home to watch TV.

The waiter came over and cleaned the table once you were done, as soon as he was gone you pulled out your phone to see if you had received any new manuscripts to read for the weekend. You were so busy reading your emails that you hadn't noticed that the guys at the table across the room had been staring at you.

Every Friday night, Ransom would meet up with his friends and spend most of the night drinking and throwing away their money. It's something they had started in college a few years ago and still did to this day. They liked to challenge each other by making bets and daring one another to do stupid stuff for a ridiculous amount of money. Each week, one of them would get a new dare and tonight was Ransom's turn.

It was getting difficult to come up with different bets when you've been doing this for two years, every week.

They had been at the restaurant an hour and they still hadn't found anything. They were racking their brain but coming up empty. Until one of the tables across the room made a lot of noise and caught their attention.

In the blink of an eye everyone at the table was gone. Well, almost everyone. There was a girl that stayed behind. Ransom thought she looked beautiful, especially her smile but suddenly it was gone.

He had been too busy looking at her to notice the looks his friends exchanged.

"We got your dare!" Ransom's friend, Chad, announced to get his attention.

Ransom's gaze finally broke away from you and he turned to his friends.

"Finally. What is it?"

Chad pointed to the girl that was sitting alone at the table.