A few days earlier....

A man sat alone at a huge mahogany desk in the captain's quarters of the ship. His greasy grey hair was tied behind his nape, and his grey eyes were heavy with exhaustion. The room was filled with all manners of objects. Navigating equipment littered the desk. The man was reading a letter when he heard a knock on the door. 

"Enter", he commanded in his raspy voice.

The door creaked open, and in walked the rattiest looking young man you could possibly imagine. 

"Evenin' Captain Jim."

"Good evening Peter," Captain Jim hid his grimace of annoyance, "To what do I owe the pleasure of your... presence."

"Well Captain, it's just that I heard some of the other sailors talking, and I.. I just couldn't believe what they were saying... and I thought to myself, I had better check with captain Jim to see if it's true.. and so.."

"FOR GODS SAKE PETER JUST SPIT IT OUT" Captain Jim snapped, "I am a VERY busy man you know."

The young man looked like someone had slapped him, and managed to salute very quickly, "Oh-h, yes sir Captain Jim sir! I heard the crew saying that we were to have a woman on the ship in a few days, sir."

The captain seemed lost in thought as he picked up a small letter opener from his desk and started fiddling with it. 

"Well Peter, I shall put those rumors to rest by telling you that yes, it is true." 

Peter gasped dramatically. Under the death-stare of captain Jim he quickly said.

"Terribly sorry sir, do go on."

"The daughter of one of my very rich friends will be joining us for the next few months in a couple of days. 

Peter seemed to find his voice again as he stammered, "But-but captain! We can't have a WOMAN on the ship! Haven't you heard the tales?"

The captain sighed and turned around to face the big window behind him, facing the harbour. 

He stayed like that for a moment, almost as if he had forgotten he had company.

"Um, Captain?"

Captain Jim turned around, a strange sadness residing in his eyes, and his voice low and dark.

"Nothing is going to happen to this ship, and I will go to great measures to ensure that!"

"Y-yes sir!."

"You are excused Peter, close the door on your way out."

Peter scurried to the door and left the captain with his thoughts. What if she did jeopardize the ship and endanger the crew? What could he do to stop it from happening? He sighed heavily, putting his head in his hands. What had he done? He had acted without thinking and would soon face the consequences. 

Hiiiiii!!!

Sorry for such a short chapter, but what do you think of the story so far? What do you think the captain's going to do to Serena our bold heroine? Get ready to meet a new character in the next chapter.... hehehehe... i think you're going to love them.

Farewell from your hungry author,

FLOWERQUEEENNNN