Such an Inspiring Speech

Captain Jim silently led the way to his quarters. I was too shaken to notice my surrounding, still processing every word Addison had said in that cupboard. I didn't notice that every young man we passed had stopped what he had been doing to gawk at me. 

I almost walked straight into Captain Jim when he suddenly stopped his swift walk in front of a door marked 'Captains Quarters'.

He produced an old brass key out from one of his many pockets on his long blue overcoat. The dull, worn brass seemed to gleam in his calloused fingers. 

I thought it was odd he felt the need to lock the door to his quarters when no one on the ship would ever dare steal from him, even if he had anything worthwhile to steal.

The sound of the door squeaking open shook me from my thoughts. He motioned for me to go inside with his hand, waiting for me to walk in before following me in and pulling the door closed behind him. 

I closed my eyes for a moment, gritting my teeth as the beginning of a headache started pounding through my skull. When I opened my eyes again I saw Captain Jim had already sat down in a high-backed, comfortable-looking chair behind a large desk that was littered with navigating instruments. 

He looked at me expectantly and said, "Sit, please." 

He gestured towards the two wooden chairs in front of his desk that looked nowhere near as comfortable as his cushioned swivel chair. 

Murmuring an apology he most likely couldn't hear, I quickly sat down in the closest chair, carefully placing my suitcase on the ground beside me. 

I was sure I looked frightful, I could feel my hair curling out of the neat bun I had put it in that morning. My dark-brown hair only reached just below my shoulders, but it was thick and heavy, so I often opted putting it into a bun instead of styling it properly. 

My blue-green eyes, like jewels of the oceans, as my father used to enjoy saying, nervously darted around the large room. I was trying to avoid looking at the man across from me, the man who could potentially be the cause of my demise if I wasn't careful. 

I could feel the heavy weight of his gaze raking along my body, even without looking at him. 

He cleared his throat loudly and drawled, "So Miss Barlowe, I take it that you have not ever actually been on a ship like this before?"

"Oh, well no actually I haven't, but I can assure you that I don't get seasi-"

He interjected, "So i can assume that you aren't aware of the rules we have in place here?"

I flushed and murmured, "Um, well I suppose not.. but-"

"I see" He stated. He picked up an expensive-looking cross staff from the surface of his desk and turned it over in his calloused hands. "Well, Miss Barlowe, you can be assured that there are certainly rules upon this ship, and breaking more than three of them at any given time will get you, simply put, kicked out."

 He plonked the cross staff back on his desk and picked up a short, slim wooden stick. "Rule number one:  You will stay out of my sailors' way when they are doing their work. "

"Well of course, why would I-"

"Rule number two!" He snapped." You will work a morning and evening shift in the kitchens, where you will be expected to help out with the cooking, cleaning and dishes."

"Oh." I hadn't expected that I would have to help out, but I supposed that I needed to earn my keep somehow. "I see."

He barrelled on, paying no mind to my little comments. "Rule number three. You will not go into any of the sailors' quarters, unless I have specifically told you to do so."

I blushed. Now I found that a little odd, and specific. Surely he didn't think that I was the sort of girl who-.

"Number four! You shall not engage in any, ahem, extracurricular activities, with the sailors, nor "lead them on" in any way, shape or form."

What. The. Hell. Who did this man think he was??? How dare he assume the worst and suggest that I would take part in anything like that! 

"And finally, number five, Miss Barlowe." He lowered the rod back onto the desk and braced his hands against it. He looked at me darkly and growled. "Never. I repeat, never, enter my quarters unless I am with you. Do you understand?

I barely nodded. 

My head was spinning with confusions. Those last three rules?? I could kind of understand not going into the sailors' quarters, but you would think that would be an obvious rule. 

And to think that I would have an.. an understanding with one of the sailors? Not that I would ever want to.. but why on earth was there a rule against that? 

And that last rule... With his words still bouncing around my head Captain Jim stood up with a start. 

"Look for a sailor named James. He will escort you to your quarters and tell you everything else you need to know. I look forward to having such a beautiful young lady roaming about the ship, Miss Barlowe." 

He opened the door and gestured for me to leave. I could hardly have gotten out of my chair faster. His hungry, predatory gaze had returned, and it was making me feel quite uncomfortable. 

Just before he closed the door he paused and said, "Oh and Miss Barlowe? Stay away from Alec..." And then slammed the door in my face. 

I had only two thoughts as I stepped away from the door. 

Why did he want me to stay away from Addison? 

And what could possibly be in his quarters, that he was so serious about me staying out.... 

What was he hiding?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, girls, and everybody else!!

I'm baaaaaack!!! And with me I bring more chapters, characters and adventure!!! My deepest apologies for making you wait so long for another chapter, but hopefully from now on I'll be getting more consistent with my updates! So, until next time...

Your excited author,

Flowerqueen :DDD

OH!! 

And special thanks to my good friend, MJTHEFAMOUSCHEESE, for inspiring me to continue writing my book.