III

Chapter Three:
Hellish Tokyo

Kouzai and Kaneko went on like they usually did, despite having to participate in death games that meant you could live longer.

Early on in the first few games they decided to split up and play games separately. Not wanting to risk coming across a game where only one player survives and being left alone.

It was torture for the two of them.

And one night Kouzai had completely broken down in front of him after they both came back from their games.

"I used to think I didn't care for anybody after Suguru left me." She had a sad smile on her face as she hugged her cousin. "But this entire death game thing made me realize you are the closest thing I will ever have to a brother. Kaneko I don't know what I would do if you died one of these days."

She clung to him, and he just listened to her rambles. His hand patting the back of her head, tears prickling both of their eyes.

"I don't think I could survive if I lost you." The short girl sniffled pulling back from the tall boy. "Okay, that's enough emotions for tonight."

The two cousins shared a short laugh, walking back to their shared apartment arm in arm.

One with a new 4 of hearts card, and the other a 6 of clubs. Both oblivious to being watched as they laughed and talked about anything and everything.

The next day started out fine, both cousins had a sufficient amount of visa days so they decided to take a break from the constant games.

Kouzai and Kaneko walked arm in arm down the streets of Tokyo reminiscing about their childhood.

"Remember when we were younger and you used to get stuck in trees?" Kaneko wondered out loud, mind stuck in the past.

Kouzai laughed nodding her head.

"I loved climbing trees I just didn't know how to get back down!"

The two stop in front of their apartment, laughs dying down.

Then they heard it. Footsteps.

Looking at each other confused they go completely silent.

The only time they see people are at games, its the only time they'd actually like to see people honestly.

"Hello." Its from below them. Standing on the floor under them is a man. "I would like to offer a deal to the both of you."

Kouzai leans over the railing to see the man, only to be greeted by four more people. She furrows her eyebrows becoming defensive.

"Well? Get on with it yeah? What do you want."

To their left they can hear footsteps coming up the stairs rapidly.

"I'd like to offer the both of you to become card dealers! We've seen how good you both are at figuring out games and this way you can both go to games and survive." He leans over the railing making eye contact with Kouzai. "What do you say Aikawa Kouzai?"

She turned to her cousin who subtly nodded at her, mouthing "It's best to just go with it." maling her sigh.

"Sure why not, we have nothing better to do in this wasteland."

Six men walked up from their left the one in front holding out two cards. One for Kaneko and one for Kouzai.

"Find the subway station and use those cards to get in tomorrow morning, we'll have somebody brief you." He turned to walk away, all the people who came with him following quickly after him. Just before he was out of sight he called out. "Don't be late!"

The six people to their left turned and walked back down the stairs leaving the Aikawa cousins in complete silence.

"I mean the only downside would be if we have to design games where we're up against actual players." Kaneko said slinging his arm around Kouzai who just punched him in the stomach making him groan.

"Don't jinx us dumbass, then we'll have to do one of those games." She scoffed moving inside the apartment ignoring her cousin's groans.

"I didn't think about that." He groans holding his stomach, walking in after her.

"I can tell."

a/n

okay so one ima need to make a closing gif cause this is bothering me, and two im going to be posting every thursday bc im making a new book so i cant update every day like i wanted to