Black Cat and Sunflower

Tbh, I forgot about this for a long time. I've kinda fallen out of love with MHA, so I'm probably not going to write much for this fandom for a long time.

Shouta told him he was listening. So Toshinori sat him down with a blanket and a mug of hot coffee like he always did. Then he started from the very beginning. His voice was weak and trembled at first; but despite his anxiety, Toshinori began to speak, taking a deep breath. 

"I'm sorry." He apologized with obvious sincerity, shoulders slumped. "You shouldn't have found out that way; I should have told you myself. But I was scared and didn't...I didn't want you to see me as just All Might."

That was something the younger hero understood; All Might was a big name. People looked at him and only saw a hero, not a man underneath it all. If the roles were reversed…he would have felt the same.

"I want to let you know...What I'm going to tell you might not seem real and it might put you in danger." As he warned him, Toshinori gave him a look that was equally worried and hopeful. "So if at any time, you don't want me to continue, I u—"

"Toshi." Aizawa put his mug down on the glass coffee table without worrying about a coaster. He didn't say anything more, but by looking in his eyes, the blond could tell that he wasn't going to be running anytime soon. His tensed shoulders relaxed slightly, his anxiety somewhat eased. 

"I suppose I should start at the beginning, then." Toshinori gave him a small, forced smile. "I always wanted to be a hero, to be like the person I admire. But...I couldn't. Do remember what I said when we talked about our quirks?"

Aizawa stared at him blankly as he tried to recall. When was that? Ah, it hit him, when they talked about his hero name. (Thinking back on it, how had Yagi already known it back then?) When they discussed their quirks, Toshinori had said something with a bit of hesitation.

I'm...I was born quirkless.” Yagi had told him, seeming just a bit fidgety. 

"That... wasn't a lie."

Being born without a quirk was a bit more common back then, he explained, although it wasn't all that long ago. And since research on quirks and how they manifest was still stuck in its beginning stages, nobody questioned it when his quirk suddenly appeared; everyone assumed he was just a late bloomer. Lucky timing, he supposed. If it was just a bit later, people might have questioned it a bit more.

The world back then was only just settling into the idea of a superhero society, and crime rates were climbing higher as more and more people began to misuse their gifts. 

"There were heroes of course, there always are. With powers or not, there are always heros. But it was a lot different then. The public loved them, but at the same time, some admonished them, saying they weren't doing enough. Everyone was uneasy, they didn't have a symbol to place their faith in in a rapidly changing world."

Especially when they didn't know why it was changing. The transition to a superhuman society was far from smooth, even when the majority of the population began to manifest a power of their own. 

There were strong, reliable heroes, but that didn't ease the public's fear that they would be bested and someone stronger would appear. No amount of training or years of experience could change everyone's minds.