First Loves (Side Story)

This is a short story about Shouta and Hizashi. In one of the chapters, it was mentioned that they briefly dated (and at one point pretended to date) so here's a short side story on them. At the end, there's going to be a note on what to expect with this story in the future.

It was a question that came out of nowhere.

"First loves..." Toshinori suddenly commented in the middle of the movie. "That feels like forever ago!"

"Who was it?" Shouta asked out of curiosity, shifting so Toshi could reach the remote and pause.  "We need to get a better couch," he grumbled, close to falling off the edge, "if we're going to do this every time we watch a movie."

"You mean cuddling?" Toshinori chuckled, "Maybe you're right; it is a bit small for two."

"So? Who was it?

"Hm? Oh, my first love? Back in highschool there was this young man I had quite the crush on..."

He was in the support classes. Everyone said he was a genius at what he did, and he had a passion for making the equipment that helped heros everywhere.

And he was really handsome.

He had dark hair and eyes, a warm smile, and a laugh that made Toshinori's stomach do flip flops.

To say they were friends would be a bit of an overstatement; Toshi was more of a fanboy than a friend. He was always finding excuses to go and talk to him, even pretending a time or two to have issues with his gear just to have a reason to see him.

"He ended up marrying a girl from his class. Turns out they were dating that whole time, but I didn't even notice her!" The blond laughed again at the memory. "I only had eyes for him!"

He's got a type, Shouta thought with a snort.

"Who was yours?"

He paused, reluctant to answer. It didn't bring up the best of memories..."There were two."

The first was the the loud kid who insisted on becoming his friend on thier very first day at UA. He obnoxiously woke him from every nap, distracted him from every single test, and even decided on his hero name for him. But even with all that, Shouta couldn't help but grow to like Hizashi.

And with Hizashi came other loud, obnoxious people who apparently decided to latch onto him for life: Nemuri and the only other person he had ever fallen for aside from Hizashi and Toshi, Oboro.

His time with Oboro was short, way too short. But it was important to him. He still remembered his laugh and his jokes. He remembered how fun he was to be around, and how free he seemed, just like a cloud...

If you asked which one he fell for first, he wouldn't have an answer for that.

He enjoyed Oboro's jokes, even when they weren't actually that funny, and admired his kindness. If someone needed help, he never hesitated to do whatever he could for them. He was a great friend, and Shouta sometimes wondered if they would have actually made it this far of they hadn't met him.

Hizashi's energy was overwhelming sometimes, but he appreciated it all the same.  He was loud and sometimes bothered him. At the same time, he was also the one who just knew when Shouta's social battery was drained. He just understood and listened. Plus, he had great taste in music.

When they lost their best friend, Hizashi and Nemuri were the two who understood him best. They were the ones who kept him going.

He and Hizashi first dated right after they got out of high school. There wasn't much romantic about it, just a spur of the moment decision between them and awkward handholding. Even though Nemuri lightheartedly teased them, she was nothing but supportive.

They were best friends and when they started dating, nothing much changed...They we're still there for eachother and cared for eachother as they always had. They just had different ways of showing it.

It was all the work of becoming a hero that broke them up. Nothing eventful, just a mutual understanding that they had other things they needed to focus on. Exploring their romantic feelings for eachother could wait.

And it did, for a year or so.

It was Hizashi's birthday, and the trio was out celebrating together. Hizashi's other friends had gone thier separate ways as the night started to wind down, but Hizashi was still hyped up so they went out for food.

Amid laughter and Nemuri's tone deaf rendition of "Happy Birthday" in less than stellar English, Hizashi's hand met Shouta's.

And that's how they less-than-soberly made out in McDonald's.

It'd be a lie to say that it wasn't great while it lasted. They were good together, and it was comfortable. Hizashi was his best friend, and he did love him.

They weren't big heros, so being public wasn't a big deal. Sometimes people would call in questions about Present Mic's boyfriend when he was on the air, but overall, they were pretty supportive.

It's hard to say what changed and when.

It was always a comfortable relationship, being with the person that knew him best. They were the best of friends and always would be. At one point, they discussed marriage, but nothing ever came of it. It just never went anywhere.

They broke up after a long relationship where everything had felt right, knowing that maybe they just weren't the one. They loved each other, but maybe not in that way anymore.

Hizashi dated casually after that, but never really settled down. Meanwhile, Shouta hid in dumpsters, taking stakeouts over date nights.

They pretended in front of Hizashi's parents to stop the blind date offers from coming in, until the right guy showed up.

It was a blind date disguised as a family ski trip. Like the second son and daughter they always wanted, Shouta and Nemuri were invited along. When they finally came clean and introduced them to the other guy, the act was back on. They played the perfect, high school sweethearts couple to get Hizashi's parents to finally drop it.

But then, well, the guy was actually a great fit for him.

They liked the same music, both worked in entertainment to some degree, and both had the same infectious energy. Jun was just perfect for him; the two just clicked. Honestly, Shouta expected to feel jealous but he was really just happy for him.

And a little later down the line, Shouta would meet his own "one." But that's a story both he and Toshi already knew.

"Hizashi...and Oboro." He finally answered. "They were my best friends."

"I wish I got to meet him." Toshinori replied, having patiently listened to his whole story. He stroked Shouta's hair with one hand, as though he was worried that he was going to cry.

"You would have gotten along." He smiled. Toshi would probably laugh himself to tears around him, would be making silly jokes right along with him. It was a nice little image.

"You think so?"

They finally resumed the movie, but neither was really paying that much attention.

"Let's go shopping for a new couch on our next day off." Toshi suddenly decided. "With Eri, we'll need room for three, right?"

"Yeah " Shouta grinned. "I guess we will."

Set just before the adoption is finalized. This is one of a handful of side stories for my Black Cat and Sunflower AU. Hope you enjoyed!

Currently, I'm debating whether or not to continue to post to Wattpad. Personally, I don't really like posting here for a handful of reasons. (Don't like the app, a bit more difficult to just post oneshots, and so on.) I'm considering moving completely to AO3 once this series is over and post my next few Erasermight series only on there.

I haven't 100% decided because I do want to share my original fiction soon but I might find a different site for that.