Chapter 11 - My Companion

"Now!"

I yelled at Haec as I flung myself out of the way of the large fangs bearing down on me. My companion struck the [Arachne] on its hind legs. The giant Demon with eight jointed appendages fell, its two back legs broken by his [Crushing Blow].

I leapt up to the head of the wild Demon as all of its dozen eyes snapped towards me. It tried to lash out with a spray of a dangerous liquid that melted through even the rocks on the ground. This acid went past me as I landed on its face, slicing down at its neck with my Spear of Flames. The spear jammed halfway through before I activated [Fire Strike], allowing me to shear the rest of it off before I lost grip of the weapon.

The [Arachne] collapsed, dead.

Defeated [Succo Arachne - Lvl. 17]!

Less experience is awarded for defeating an enemy with the help of others!

Subspecies [Zelus Imp] Level Up!

[Zelus Imp - Lvl. 14] -> [Zelus Imp - Lvl. 15]

Gained 5 Stat Points and 3 Skill Points!

I landed nimbly on my two feet, having completely accustomed myself to this body now. Black blood spilled behind me, pouring out of the decapitated Demon's head in a deluge. I turned to Haec as he approached me.

"Did you finally level?"

"Yep!"

I replied, grinning at him. Then I narrowed my eyes.

"You leveled too!"

I pointed out. He nodded eagerly, smiling and gesturing at himself.

"I'm Level 13 now, after that last encounter."

I folded my arms instinctively, in what I recognized was a petulant action. I saw no reason not to act that way, so I did it.

"Hey! You leveled twice while I only leveled once! And in only two encounters too? That's unfair!"

Haec simply raised his shoulders in a shrug.

"Those [Gadarenes] were all higher leveled than me, and so was this [Arachne]. Even though we beat them together, their experience is worth more to me as I was only Level 11 and 12."

"I know."

I lowered my arms and picked up my spear. I spun it around and inspected it— it seemed weaker now. It was still considered a Medium Grade Weapon, yet I knew it was degrading with each use, probably as a result of it being a fully magically created weapon.

I shook my head and turned to my companion.

"I just want to level faster."

I was still higher leveled than him, but I couldn't help but feel slightly envious that his rate of leveling was faster than me once again; I had felt this way before, and now I felt that way again. He would probably slow down in leveling speed once he was close to my level, but for now, he would level twice for every level I gained.

"Maybe we should leave this place then?"

My companion opined, glancing at the distant mountains behind us.

"We've barely encountered any of those 'wild Demons' as you call them, since we've come here."

"But we've barely even explored this [Demon King's Domain]!"

I protested, waving my hands up and down. I gestured at the hillocks— the sinuous landscape— around us.

"Come on! Aren't you curious about what makes this place different? It's a new area— it has even got its own name!"