𝟓𝟖. ✭ 𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐘 ✭

"What do you mean they want us back in Vegas? They want me?" I deliberate for a minute not necessarily wanting to admit the fact that they'll most likely interrogate her and want her to testify against her father. They'll probably want her in court, on that stand, saying what kind of man he is. If she did that then we'd have a rock-solid case. "Torey? I asked you a question."

I rap my knuckles on the table a few times, watching the motion as I do before giving her my attention again. "They're going to want a testimony that correlates with my findings over the years. They're going to want you to speak about his violent nature and the things he's put you through. They're probably going to want you to go to trial and speak against him."

Her eyes are round, petrified saucers. "I can't do that." She shakes her head quickly. "I can't do that, Torey. I can't."

I grab ahold of her hand and give it a reassuring squeeze. "You can do that. You have to do that. If not for you and I then for Wolf. Having Agelos' own daughter speak against him, speak about his violent nature and business dealings, at least the ones you're aware of, will secure the safety of his future."

"You can't know that." She pulls her hand out of mine. "He has dealings with so many people. If he goes away then there will be someone else. There will be someone who will want to avenge his incarceration. That doesn't make Wolf any more safe, nor you or me. We will be in the same amount of danger if not more. And what've Polat?"

"My parents said that they'd handle him."

"What does that even mean?" I purse my lips and look away from her because that means he'll most likely end up with a bullet in his skull. "Torey, are they going to kill him?" I give her a sharp nod. "What makes them any better than my father if they just take the law into their own hands? People can't just go around playing vigilante when it's convenient."

"Don't speak about my parents like that. They're nothing like your father. And this whole situation is not convenient for them, Dani." The words were a defensive growl. "They're the ones who've watched our son and made sure he was taken care of while you seemingly just moved on with your life." She pushes away from the table and stands up angrily. Shit. "Dani—"

"Moved on? I moved on?" I watch her jaw tick and her teeth grind. "You know I did not just move on from that."

"I know, Dani. It's just my parents took care of our son. They're here for us, to help us. I don't like them being compared to someone who would hurt you, potentially hurt our child. My parents wouldn't harm a hair on our son's head and they would take down anyone who would try. Yeah, okay, maybe they have a bit of a sordid past and maybe they're not always on the right side of the law but that does not make them bad people. They're good people. They're my parents."

She deliberates for a moment with her hands on her hips and then cocks her head over her shoulder to look at the door. "What'd you say to piss Brooks off so bad?"

"I told him that it would just be you and I going." She raises her brows, asking me to elaborate silently. "He can't come. They know who he is, what he does. They won't protect a man like him."

"Even if he testifies against my father?"

"That isn't part of the guild's code. If he breaks protocol he'll have a hit put out on him and by default, so might we. You and I are to go, testify, and be put into witness protection, well, if all goes accordingly."

"We can't just... leave him." I shrug and look away, not knowingly what else to tell her. This is how it has to be to keep us protected and to keep him protected. "Torey, you can't be serious. After last night?"