quaranta: slapped

Janis held up the notebook when Fate looked at
her. Fate was shaking her head, stuck in the middle of a game. Red wasn’t to be trusted.

Everything she has ever told her was turning out to be well contrived lies. Why would Red do such a thing to a woman she claimed she was in love with? It made absolutely no sense to her and her heart was turning black because of it.

Now we can’t be together. I don’t want to be in this house. I don’t want her touching me. Janis said her daughter’s name was “Autumn’s Rose.

Coincidence? Or was it a sick, twisted game Red was playing, using human lives and human emotions to her sick advantage?

Fate read the note Janis scribbled.

Ask to meet her family, Fate.

She’s hiding you and your son.

No, she’s not hiding me. What does she know?

But she is my elder and elders know the drill. They been there and done that. What if Janis is right? What if Red is ashamed of being a lesbian and don’t want her family to meet me? After all, Red met my Mama.

Mama didn’t like her, but they still laid eyes on each other. They at least tried to be civil with each other. Red met my son. My son loves her. I really don’t know anything about Red. Except that we share the same Baby Daddy.

Janis closed the notebook.

Fate had an idea.

♠️💞♠️💞♠️💞♠️

Baby. If we get married I want your parents to come,” Fate said lovingly, her heart torn.

“You know they can’t come.”

“Sure they can, Baby. I got a confession to make. I did something behind your back that might upset you.”

Red pulled away from her. “What did you do?”

“I called Orlando. I checked into that nursing home your Mama is in…”

“OK…” Red was getting scared.

“They said Sasha Lloyd isn’t registered there. I also called California, to check on your Daddy. They said he’s doing well.”

Red smiled. My Dad is dead. “Is that right?”

“Yes,” said Fate. “I bought a plane ticket for Orlando. I’m going to find your mother. I want to meet her. Then I am flying to Cali to meet your  handsome Daddy…”

“I won’t let you.”

“I’m grown.”

“I don’t want you meeting them.”

“But I want to. And I’m taking my son.”

Red slapped Fate so hard she held her face.