Chapter 16

Josie and Marcus had the whole day to spend as they wished before worrying about the enigmatic brothers. What did it mean 'they weren't going to be happy,' anyway? What power did Sam and Ezra have here? And where were they during the day?

The girl quickly put these questions out of her head. There was too much fun to be had now that she wasn't completely alone. Giving Marcus a quick tour of the manor's ground floor, she led him through the parlor and dining room before stopping at the grand staircase.

Instructing her new friend to go upstairs, Josie watched from below and giggled when he tripped on the fourth rung. She laughed even harder once the obstacle became visible and he turned whiter than the specter-like cat. The boy only regained his composure when they'd reached the conservatory, where the duo was equally mesmerized.

In just a few days' time, the entire indoor garden had reached full bloom. The sweet, intoxicating smell of a dozen flower varieties mingled in the air, creating a welcome haven for previously unseen creatures.

Hundreds - if not thousands - of butterflies fluttered between the petals, their iridescent wings sparkling in the sunlight streaming through the panes. Tiny hummingbirds also darted from flower to flower, hovering mid-air while their wings moved at an almost impossible speed.

The children watched the commotion with wide eyes before joining in. Running over the mosaic paths, they jumped in an attempt to capture a bird or insect.

They weren't successful, of course, but that wasn't the point. When they tired, Josie and Marcus crouched beside the fountain-fed pond to catch their breath. As if on cue, a dozen or more frogs emerged from among the water lilies, hopping from rock to rock. The goldfish, too, wanted a part of the merriment, swimming in a perfect, circular formation just below the water's surface. Their choreographed, underwater dance ended with each, finger-length fish jumping out of the water before disappearing into the muddy bottom once again.

Josie and Marcus clapped at the unexpected spectacle, until the unmistakable flutter of a raven's wings interrupted. The large, black predator passed through the small opening at the top of the glass wall, flying high under the clear ceiling. Tilting its body before reaching the far wall, the raven made a u-turn and descended to head-level.

With the bird coming straight at them, Josie grabbed Marcus' hand and ran. Their shoes clacked on the narrow, twisty path as they hurried past clumps of fragrant lavender and giant stalks of sunflowers. When the girl thought they were almost at the exit to the manor, the path took them further into the floral labyrinth.

Looking over her shoulder, Josie saw the raven land and perch on a nearby tree. The thin branch, already overloaded with beautiful, ripe lemons, sagged even lower from the bird's weight.

Before the girl returned her attention to where she was going, her heel caught on a loose tile and she lost her balance. The raven let out a gleeful caw-caw as Marcus tumbled after her. The boy got to his feet first and offered his hand in assistance to Josie. It was only when they stood that the manor's proximity became apparent.

"What's in there?" Marcus pointed at a closed door just a few feet away.

Josie shrugged. She hadn't noticed any other rooms linked to the winter garden before. Hesitant at moving toward the raven and emboldened by Marcus' company, she walked toward the door and turned the knob.

The door opened easily, releasing the same musty air Josie smelled the first time she stepped into the manor. Entering the windowless space, the duo found themselves amongst a whole array of instruments. A grand piano sat in the room's center under the lit candelabrum hanging from the arched ceiling. A harp and cello leaned against the wood-paneled walls, while a trumpet, violin, and flute lay on empty chairs.