Chapter 2

Lightning struck, making Josie jump. She wasn't keen on being all alone in a strange place, but in spite of the uncomfortable feeling in the pit of her stomach, she kept walking toward the manor.

Great Aunt Donatella may not even have been expecting her. The thick chain and large padlock on the gates would no doubt make her admittance more difficult.

Come back.

Josie spun around, thinking she heard something.

She shook her head. Impossible. There was no one else out here in the rain.

Come back to us.

There it was again, and Josie hastened her steps.

It must have been just the trees, whipping their bare branches against each other. Or the wind, as it carried the sounds of the storm across the lonesome countryside.

Nearly stumbling over her own feet as she practically ran the last few steps, Josie grabbed the metal bars of the ornate carriage gate.

A subtle tingle ran through her body. It was akin to when her leg fell asleep on those long nights when she had it tucked under her just so, sitting in her favorite chair while writing in her beloved notebook.

Moving the limb made it temporarily go numb before a million tiny pinpricks crawled along her skin until it returned to normal.

That's exactly what she felt now, but it was much quicker, running through her hands up to her head and down to her toes.

Josie didn't have time to ponder the curious occurrence because the wide arm of the gate gave way under her push.

That's quite odd, she thought, looking for the chain and lock that were there just moments prior.

Or were they? If they had ever existed, they were surely gone now. Could it just have been her imagination? Were her weary eyes playing tricks on her?

Josie sighed. No matter. At least she was one step closer to getting out of the rain.

Leaning against the gate, she pushed the heavy obstacle open with her shoulder just enough to slip inside. The previous dirt – or rather, currently mud – path turned into a cobblestone road leading several hundred feet under looming elms up to the manor.

Carefully stepping over the slick stones, Josie wrung her hands while imagining what she'd say when she got to the front door. Good evening, madam. I'm Josephine Lyttleton-Bradley from London. Nice to make your acquaintance, she mentally practiced as she neared the imposing set of stairs at the end of the road.

Her heart raced by the time she stopped at the first step. She briefly wrinkled her nose in confusion at the two statues crowning the adjacent balusters on either side. Leaning in to the closest one, she could make out the grotesque face, scrawny arms, and folded wings of the crouching figure carved from stone. When a flash of lighting momentarily made the night as bright as day, she could have sworn the gargoyle winked at her.

Josie ran up the steps two at a time, keeping her focus on her feet as they hit the worn, stone pavers. When she thought she should be at the top, she looked up.

She was only halfway there.

After wiping her wet locks out of her eyes, Josie took a deep breath and slowly walked the rest of the way to the manor's entrance.

The covered portico gave her a welcome respite from the storm. Searching for bell or knocker proved unfruitful, so Josie raised her fist and pounded three times on the wooden door.