Chapter Twenty Nine

"So your female boss called you and threatened you for fucking her man?" Gabby asked as she munched on some chips.

She paused, staring at me like I'd grown two heads, then she bursted out laughing, she laughed so hard she started tearing up. "Oh my god." She said still full of laughter as she wiped a drop of tears from the corner of her eye.
"Never in a million years would I believe that you?Ilaria Denise Vitale would steal someone's man." She shook her head in disbelief.

"I can't believe you find this really amusing." I scowled at her.

"No no no. This is too juicy, even juicier than my own love life. Heather!" She called out to her sister and I smacked my forehead in annoyance. "Heather, come! You need to hear this."

I rolled my eyes as she reported everything to Heather and they both laughed at me.

Looking at things on a lighter note, I actually liked the fact that the two sisters were bonding again, even if it meant they'd use my terrible love story as a joke.

"Well, I wouldn't find it funny that I have to start job hunting again, because I obviously can't go back to work in the museum."

"So your two bosses are both sociopaths. It's a little terrifying, all jokes aside." Heather pointed with a serious look and Gabby nodded in agreement.

As crazy as it sounded, it was true. I wanted to be sad that I didn't have a job again, but I'd rather be jobless than be at the mercy of those two.

Ronald obviously sent out those pictures to Andrea, which made me wonder how things would be for Aaron at the moment.

As funny as things seemed, a part of me could strongly feel as my life was beginning to fall apart. I'd lost my two hugely paying jobs, my supposed boyfriend- Brian- was no longer talking to me, he probably hated my gut, and worst of all, I was now painted as a slut.

My phone started to ring, it was an unknown caller.

"Miss Vitale?" An unfamiliar voice said.

"This is she."

"I'm calling from the North general hospital." She said and my heart skipped a beat. "It's about your father."

You know moments when your soul leaves your body, like when you hear or see something you don't want to, and you can't seem to move or snap yourself into reality? I felt that in tenfold in a matter of seconds as the caller spoke about my father.

She mentioned how he was rushed to the hospital because his lungs stopped working.
I should have expected this. I should have, but I wasn't handling it like I'd been expecting it.

In a matter of seconds, Gabby was beside me, she took the phone from me and collected the details, because I seemed to have lost my senses to move and speak. We were out of the house immediately and she drove us to the hospital.

We got there after several minutes. How we managed to beat the evening traffic was still beyond me, even though I knew Gabby to be such a crazy driver.

I opened the car door and ran up to the entrance, bursting into the hospital doors before Gabby stopped the car. I sprinted through the halls and spoke to the nurse at the reception desk. On autopilot, I followed in step with the nurse as she led me to the icu, where my father's room was.

My heart was almost beating out of my chest, tears stinging at the back of my eyes as we came to a stop in front of the room. I didn't go in immediately, I couldn't.

The nurse gave me a pitiful look as she stepped aside to give me some privacy. When she walked away, I stopped in front of the window and stared into the room.