ten: chase

Soobin's POV:

My day was alright, kind of how it is every day. I was behind on getting the pastries done for tomorrow since I took a nap after I closed everything down. It was around ten thirty when I finally got the prep work done for tomorrow and I could go back to the apartment. I really thought Yeonjun would come back before I closed up the shop as well, but he must be busy. Gosh, it's not like he was dying to come back. I was locking the front door, about to put the key in the lock when someone ran into me hard. I felt like I got the wind completely knocked out of me, groaning from falling on the sidewalk.

I could barely get my bearings, "Soobin, I-I'm so sorry..." I heard a familiar voice say, those hazel eyes staring into mine. I scrunched my eyebrows at the messy blue hair on his head, his mask lowered so it was just covering his mouth. I thought I was dreaming for a moment, not even realizing that he had fallen on top of me until the weight of his body was removed. He quickly stood up, reaching his hand out as he frantically said, "No time to explain. W-We have to hide."

I felt like I could barely process what was going on. Geez, how hard did I hit my head on the concrete? I sat up a little, confusedly replying, "W-What?"

He looked really anxious, his eyes holding the fear in his system, "Please, j-just trust me."

I didn't even have time respond before I heard a few screams come from behind him, not understanding what was happening. I hesitated before placing my hand in his, helping me stand up as I said, "Go inside. I'll lock the door."

He quickly ran inside the bakery, pulling me with him. I let go of his hand to lock the door behind us, but Yeonjun grabbed it again to drag me into the back kitchen. His breaths were heavy, not knowing what to say and just following his movements. He took his bag off and dropped it on the ground before he crawled under one of the worktables, hiding underneath while still holding my hand. I sat down next to him without having to think about it, watching him rip his mask off with the other hand so he could breathe as he brought his knees to his chest.

He dryly swallowed before going back to taking deep breaths, trying to calm down. He looked gorgeous even though he was in a frantic state, his hair everywhere and the sweat evident on his forehead from the moonlight shining through the small window. I opened my mouth to say something but flinched when someone started banging on the front door. Yeonjun flinched as well, tightening his grip on my hand as we heard them scream, "Daniel-oppa! Are you in there?!"

My eyes widened when his cover was blown. I turned my head to Yeonjun and was about to say something but stopped myself when I saw his eyes were tightly closed. He was shaking, dropping his head onto his knees to further hide away. I knew I couldn't bombard him with questions right now, not with the state he's in. I wrapped my arm around him, lightly pulling him closer to me as I whispered, "It's ok... They'll leave soon."

I rubbed his shoulder a bit to give him some comfort as his breathing finally began to slow down. His grip kept getting tighter on my hand, making me want to hold him until he feels better. I kept whispering to him until I thought the people outside went away, pulling away a little to talk to him. Yeonjun picked his head up, not knowing what he was wiping his face for until he sniffled, quietly saying, "I'm s-sorry."

I shook my head, "No, no, no... You're fine. Don't worry."

His grip loosened on my hand, but he was still holding it against this chest, "My hat flew off in the wind and someone recognized me while I was walking home. Some other people joined them and wouldn't give me space... I just got scared and started running."

I pursed my lips, "You're an idol?" I asked, even though I already knew the answer to the question.

He swallowed the lump in his throat, looking away from me as he nodded. I wanted to lighten his mood a bit, and I didn't want him to get the wrong idea, "I recognized you on your birthday at the diner. My little brother listens to your music..." Yeonjun looked back at me, the expression on his face unreadable, "I just wanted you to keep being yourself. I almost forgot about the blue hair; thought I hit my head really hard."

Yeonjun widened his eyes, "You hit your head?! Oh god, a-are you ok?"

I giggled at his worrying, "I'm fine, I'm fine..." I said, squeezing his hand to reassure him, "Are you alright? You're not hurt or anything?"

He shook his head, "I'm fine..." He quietly said, pausing for a moment before he added, "I'm sorry."

I widened my eyes, "What for? You were literally being chased when you were trying to walk home."

He sighed, "I was scared to tell you that I'm an idol."

I pouted a little, not wanting him to get the wrong idea, "You're still Yeonjunie to me... But my little brother is seriously obsessed with your music."

Yeonjun chuckled, making me smile that he was finally able to be a little happy again, "He has good taste, huh?..." He replied, making both of us laugh a little. He turned to me, quietly saying, "Thank you."

"No problem..." I squeezed his hand, "Come on. I'll check if they left." I said, wanting to get out from underneath the table.

I stood up and Yeonjun followed suit, letting go of my hand for the first time in twenty minutes. I turned to him as I flipped on the light switch in the kitchen, "Just stay here..." He nodded and I cautiously opened the door to the main room. I didn't see anyone through the window, so I went back into the kitchen, "I think they left."

Yeonjun took a step closer to me, "A-Are you sure you're alright? Did you hit your head?"

I waved my hands, "No, no. I'm fine..." I replied, ignoring my pounding headache, "I can walk home with you to make sure your safe. O-Only if you want me to, of course." I added, bringing a hand up to rub the back of my neck.

"I-I don't want to bother you more than I already have..." He replied, reaching out to pick up his bag and sling it over his shoulder again, "I'm sorry about all that."

I raised an eyebrow, "You need to stop apologizing when you didn't do anything wrong..." I sighed, adding, "At least text me that you got back safe?"

He softly smiled, nodding as he said, "I will."

"Ummm... H-How was your day? Other than what just happened." I asked, not wanting him to leave so soon.

He grabbed the strap of his bag, shrugging as he replied, "It was alright. Dance practice was tiring."

I scrunched my eyebrows, "That's it?"

He nodded, "I just worked." He said, pursing his lips.

"You've been working since six this morning?"

He brought a hand up to anxiously rub the back of his neck, "I-I mean, I took a few breaks to eat, but basically I have. My comeback is tomorrow, so I have a lot to prepare for."

I sighed, "I'm sorry."

He shrugged, "It's alright. It's not that big of a deal..." He hesitated before coming closer to me, giving me a quick hug before he pulled away. It was so fast that I didn't even have time to react, seeing his cheeks turning pink, "Y-You make my day special."

I felt the smile forming on my face as Yeonjun avoided my eyes. He's so cute when he's shy, "Well, I'm glad I could make it special then."

He pursed his lips and looked up at me for a second before looking away again, too scared to look me in the eye, "H-Have a good night." He quickly said before he rushed out of the bakery, giggling at his shyness.