𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒄𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕.

𝑯𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒐 everyone! I'm so sorry if you guys thought this was an update, sadly it's not. But I would really appreciate it if you would keep reading because I have a couple of very important stuff to talk about.

First of all, as you guys might know, the protagonist of this story, Aviana is of French and South Asian descent. And if you didn't know, well, she is of all British, French and South Asian origin. So I have a couple of issues to clear and out and some proposals to make.

Before anything, if there are any French or Asian readers viewing this right now, please drop a comment here, I would really appreciate it if you help me out here :)

Let's get down to business.

|

𝐈𝐍 𝐀𝐒𝐈𝐀, 𝐈𝐓❜𝐒 𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐎 𝐓𝐎 𝐀𝐃𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐏𝐄𝐎𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐁𝐘 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄

which brings us to the questions below

(𝟏)

If you're a native Asian, you might understand how we refer to almost everyone including non-relatives as auntie/aunty or uncle. It doesn't matter if we're addressing my blood relative, my friend's mother, my female neighbour or even the lady I met in the store - they're all aunties to me. And same goes for my blood relative uncle, my father's friend, my bus driver - they're all uncles.

But in western countries, we don't call people we just met aunty or uncle because it always receives raised eyebrows and strange looks. People mostly use ma'am, sir and madam to address elderly non-relatives.

Now because Avi comes from a family that is quite cultural, she absolutely cannot address the boys' mothers and fathers as Anne, Jay or Robin, Dan, Geoff. She will have to use Aunty Anne, Aunty Jay and Uncle Geoff - which I'm quite okay with.  As the story progresses, you'll see Aviana coming to terms with the fact that they're basically her second parents and that there's no need to address them as such.

Tell me about your thoughts on this one...

(𝟐)

If you're Asian you might know how it's frowned upon when you call your older brother or sister by their name. If you're Hindi narrative, you have to call them (from what I know) - Bhaiya for your older brother and Didi for your older sister. (please correct me if I'm wrong) And if you're Sinhalese narrative, you have to use Aiya and Akka/Akki to address any girl and boy who's older than you never mind if you've met them before or they're a complete stranger.

And then today I read that you call your father's brother chacha and mother's brother mama in India as well. Whilst in Sri Lanka, mama basically means uncle in general. But now in western countries, you use aunty and uncle to address family members.

Now as long as I know, half of the people who read this book it from South Asia - mostly India and Sri Lanka. So now you guys will understand that if we were in Aviana's situation we will have to call Louis, Niall, Zayn and Liam - bhaiya or aiya which I find very disturbing and just plain...weird. So I'm not going to put you or myself through that kind of pain. But there are some things that I want to clarify aside from that.

I find it very cringe to write in my own language. I don't know if it's because I'm used to working in English and when you think about this in a real-life situation, it's kind of unrealistic. (Although I know Harry's friends with a Sri Lankan couple irl) I was going to make Aviana call her mother amma (mom in Sinhalese and Tamil) but then I felt that weird feeling of uncomfortable which made me change it back to mom.

And then Alden. You're now aware of who Alden is - Alden is Aviana's older brother. Which brings us the question? If she's not allowed to call him by his name, what should I make her call him? Obviously, in the last chapter, Aviana called him by his name but just remember that their parents were not around. So basically I'm saying that I would eventually have to use Aiya for her to address him.

*aggressive shaking in cringe*

Side note - Zayn's sisters are gonna call him Zayn bhaiya. I saw this in another fic and I just instantly fell in love with that idea although I'm having hard a time trying to come to terms with my language.

Secondly, I decided that instead of Akka, I'm going to use didi because of her background and it's a beautiful word. So basically - let's say, when Aviana meets Gemma? She's gonna call her didi, or just Gemma when her parents are not around.

*heavy breathing because this is cringe*

𝐒𝐨 𝐛𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐈❜𝐦 𝐚𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐮𝐲𝐬 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐮𝐲𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞 𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐬. 𝐈𝐭 𝐦𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐬𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥.

And if there's anyone who's willing to educate me on the Hindi terms, PLEASE SLIDE INTO MY PMS

SO basically, that's it. I just want to let you guys know about this and mentally prepare you (and myself) Please just let me know if what you think about this

Thank you so much for coming to my ted talk today!

TPWK ♡

- 𝑬𝒔𝒂