Chapter 2: The Team

Rico's Arcade had been dark for quite some time. The people that passed by expecting to get some late-night gaming in were met with the disappointing demeanor of the dark building. A particularly upset trio of children were sitting on the sidewalk as they grumpily watched the cars drive by.

They had been sitting together silently for a few minutes now. The leader of their group, Togo, was especially upset with the night's outcome. He sat in between his two companions trying to keep a positive outlook. Though Don, despite his goth appearance, was more open with his feelings. "Dangit, Milly."

"...sorry." She responded with a downtrodden tone. She meekly pushed up her drooping glasses.

Togo quickly intervened, "It's not her fault, Don."

Don wasn't trying to sound so negative. But looking into his dark face often gave his words a frustrated tone, "Kinda is."

"No, remember, that guy said they had been closed for a few hours now. Milly isn't the reason we didn't make it." Milly gave a silent thank you as he continued, "Besides. If we blame someone let's blame that lady." Togo punched his palm, remembering how that lady had scared them stiff. Well, most of them.

A large group of people walked past them as Milly tried to speak up, her soft voice being deafened by the mass of movement. Don however caught what she said. "Yeah, she distracted us. But she didn't stop us," he appended.

Togo stood up suddenly, raising a clenched fist to the sky. "Next time I see that lady I'm gonna punch her in the face!"

Don gloomily added, "Seems kinda drastic." He looked around in hopes of finding something to liven up the now boring night. He noticed the large crowd of people that had walked by. They were heading in the direction the kids had just come from. Oddly enough he noticed a large commotion forming at the front. Bodies were falling over one another while others stumbled into the streets and adjacent stores. He tugged on Togo's loose red shirt, "Hey. What's that?"

The three kids stood up to better observe the scene. More people were tumbling away as the crowd began to part. In the middle, Togo made out the figure of a woman rushing through the bodies. She used a metal bat to shove the unfortunate souls in her way to the sides. The three kids felt their stomachs suddenly drop when they saw her barreling toward them.

Don moved first, noticing the size of the massive arcade machines compared to their tiny bodies. "Let's hide." He quickly dipped behind one of the machines, putting his back against a fighting console and peering over his shoulder. He expected to find his friends by his side, but they were currently staring down the busy sidewalk. Their expressions were akin to deer in headlights.

Togo had this intense glare on his face as if he were prepping for war. The way he clenched his fists signified a growing rage. Milly instead desperately gripped her flimsy notebook. She sported a starstruck look with an enamored twinkle in her eyes. Don smacked his head in disbelief, jumping back out to pull them both behind the arcade cabinets.

Togo protested, "What are you doing?!"

"Me. Why were you standing in her way?"

"Cause I'm gonna punch her in the face!"

"Are you stupid?" Don thought for a second, "You are stupid, but now is not the time to be dumb."

"...um..." Milly softly peeped.

Togo didn't hear her, "I'm not dumb. I'm awesome."

"...um..." she tried again.

Don scoffed, "I swear talking to you is like talking to a dog. Except dogs actually listen!"