CHAPTER III: Family Matters

Wayland had gotten off the plane he had taken from Italy, about two hours ago. The drive from the airport was long and left him with nothing but his thoughts. He was exhausted. The famed Alistar Grey had been nothing but a washed up man hunting personal effects across Europe. Wayland was no closer to figuring out what the hell was happening, and he had no desire to play games with Alistar for the brief hope that together they could find something. He shook his head to clear it. No he would do this himself, with James finding him everything he needs to stop this maniac on the loose. He just needed a little break, a day or two, to catch his breath and clear his head.

The car he rode in pulled up to a rather large house in an old neighbourhood in New Orleans. It was three floors and had a gate out front. It looked more like an estate than just a house you'd find in the semi-quiet neighbourhood. Its dark brick walls showed their age, well worn, with vines crawling all along them. Even the gate to the yard, an ancient iron fence, had been here for centuries at least. The gate rested between two brick walls that stood above Wayland's head, and each brick had a certain rune carved in it. They provided the house with protection from various spells or other things that would seek to do the house, or its occupants, harm.

Wayland paid the tab to the taxi driver and stepped out of the car. He held his old suitcase in one hand, while he placed his hat on his head with the other. The car drove away and Wayland was left standing outside the front gate of the house, his frame illuminated by the setting sun over New Orleans. It had been some time since he'd been home, and he liked it that way. There was always another monster to chase, another mystery to solve. He approached the gate and let out a weary breath. He weakly waved his hand in front of the gate, the crow tattoo on his palm glowing a slight blue as he said "patentibus."

The gate creaked open slowly, a cliche of old metal, as he moved into the yard. Behind him, the gate shut itself with a click and a dull hum as it reformed its lock. He breathed a sigh and stepped up the stone steps leading to the front door. He grabbed the brass handle, turning it and leaning in with his shoulder, pushing the old oak door inward towards the front hall. He let his bag drop onto the floor with a dull thud, and removed his overcoat, hanging it on the coat rack by the front door. The house was quiet, and heavy. The weight of the memory loomed over this place like storm clouds. Wayland tended not to think about it. He removed his boots and placed them next to a few other pairs of shoes. There was a pair of brown leather dress shoes, James', and a worn and cracked pair of old boots, Ibrahim's. Wayland chuckled thinking that the boots resembled Ibrahim in a way. Old as dirt, he thought.

Down the hallway Wayland saw a flash of movement pass the entrance way into the tea room. The room itself was rarely used, it had become a collection room for various papers, books, interesting knick-knacks, and all sorts of other things that Wayland and James didn't want cluttering other spaces of the house. Now it was only occasionally used by one being...

Just as he finished the thought the flash of movement backed up into the open entranceway. A small, light blue humanoid floated in the entranceway. They were carried by four tiny iridescent wings that flapped incredibly quickly, so quickly that they were a blur of color. The humanoid herself wore a small suit with a chain leading from one pocket up into the suit. Her silver hair was tied back in a small bun that left her face fully revealed. Her large, round, multi-colored eyes were fixated on Wayland, her face cracked open in a large smile revealing small pointed teeth.

She exclaimed, breaking the silence of the house, "Master Wayland!"

Flying full speed at Wayland, she rammed into his chest attempting to wrap her tiny arms around him, though they only made it to just past his sides. Wayland let out an "oof," as the small creature hit him, but allowed a hand to press lightly on her back embracing her as well.