𝟎𝟑 | 𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞, 𝐄𝐱𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐖𝐢𝐧𝐠

Apparently, these kids adored my father and the seven of them were the entirety of the mechanics and technology class he taught at the high school.

"I'm sorry, we don't know where they took him but the Pasqualina mansion is the first place I'd look."

"I'd be damned if I let you go into that god-forsaken house alone."

We turned to Mr. Hogan, all of us collectively ready to protest.

"He's my dad if something happened to him, I need to find out what." 

"No Bailey, I promised your father that if anything ever happened to him that I'd be the one to take care of you."

I sighed, I appreciated the gesture but no one was going to look after my father if I didn't and I knew he'd do the same for me.

"Well, luck is on your side cause I just happen to be a grown woman who can take care of herself and I do not need a babysitter."

He crossed his arms on his chest and frowned down at me.

"With that attitude, you just might young lady." He grumbled.

"You don't even have a car, how are you going to get down there? Walk?"

He had me stumped there, I was willing to walk but it was a long way and that would take hours. Luckily for me, these kids seemed to care about my father just as much as I did cause a girl, Abby I think her name was,  came up with a solution.

"I've got a bike; it's got streamers on the handles and everything."

I loved these kids!

"We could go with you!" the kids piped in.

Oh no.

"No, you guys need to get back to school." I could see their faces drop. " I need a backup crew in town anyways."

I was up and out of the bakery without a word.

"Bailey wait! I can't let you do this, these people aren't the kind you want to mess with."

I swing one leg over the bike before turning to Mr. Hogan.

"I know you're just looking out for me Mr. Hogan but I have to do this, he's my dad and the only family I have left."

I didn't wait for him to respond as I peddled off.

**

And that's how I ended up huffing and puffing as I peddled a bike uphill.

"God damn bike! They just had to live on a freaking hill!"

It took about half an hour to reach the front gate of the Pasqualina estate. I looked up at the tall, wrought iron gates showcased a large 'P' at the center. I looked around for an intercom or something to gain entry when I saw none, I pushed against the gates hoping that it would open itself, I nearly fell face flat on the ground as they gave surprisingly under my weight. I looked around rather embarrassed, hoping that no one had suddenly appeared and seen that. 

"Next stop, front door."

The driveway was one of those twisted mini roads that of course had to go uphill. I decided to ditch the bike and just walk, I wasn't about to go through that strain again. By the time I reached the front door, my legs felt like jelly. I gazed up at the frankly ginormous building as I tried to catch my breath and it was just as lavishing as the front gates had been. 

On Easy Street, I mused

I climbed the short set of stairs that led to the front door and used the lion-shaped wooden knocker to make my presence known. I didn't wait long before the door slowly opened. I assumed that there was no one there cause I couldn't see anybody at all, but the quiet gasp I heard much lower to the ground soon showed me I was erroneous. A young boy stood there, mouth open in shock as he looked up at me. I went to ask if there was an adult in the house I could speak to, but before I could get a word in he'd turned around and ran into the house yelling at someone further in the house.