Chapter 15:

Grace needs a doctor and some therapy

Grace needs a doctor and some therapy. We stan baby Líla though.

Adam was woken up by Líla's belly-flop over his abdomen. "Oof."

"Tío, Tío, Tío?!" She bounced excitedly as he groggily blinked, trying to wake up.

"Líla, why are you jumping all over the place – did you find the chocolate stash again?"

"Nooooo." She smiled sheepishly.

He raised an eyebrow.

"So, what happened, Tío? Is Tío Phoenix your novio?" she asked wiggling her eyebrows.

Adam frowned. 'Why would she ask such a thing?'

Suddenly, the memories from the previous night flashed in his mind.

He glanced down and realized he was still wearing the clothes Phoenix had lent him. He shot his head up to look at Líla. "¿Donde esta tu Abuela?"

Líla frowned slightly at his panicked reaction. "Down the stairs."

He threw his blanket off himself and picked Líla up as he made his way downstairs. He quickly made his way downstairs as the memories of last night came back to him.

↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹↹

Last night at eleven-thirty, Phoenix had brought him home and walked him up the stairs. Adam had wanted to pull Phoenix in for another kiss but being on the front porch, he couldn't risk it.

They stood there in silence until Phoenix spoke up. "Good night."

His eyes dropped to Adam's lips and Adam felt an imaginary force pull him towards Phoenix. He found himself in Phoenix's arms and they leaned in, ever so slightly, but abruptly stopped as the front door swung open. Adam jumped out of Phoenix's arms to find Grace standing at the door, wrapped in her nightgown, with her walker behind her. She looked between the two of them and frowned.

Adam immediately stepped back to help her. "Mama, you shouldn't be walking without me around to watch you."

"If you hadn't run off, I wouldn't have had to."

Phoenix was confused at her sudden cold attitude towards him as she glared at him from head to toe. Grace looked at him and in her eyes, he could feel how his sister and Líla might have felt all those years ago; every sense of their being judged by a person who they held in high respect was enough to break anyone.

Yet, after a while, her expression softened as if she had the same thought as him.

Grace closed the door, once Adam was properly in the house before they could say goodbye.

Adam looked at the door, shocked, and then back to Grace and reached over to help her. She flinched.

"Don't touch me."