- FOUR!

the building was taller than him, casting a shadow over his small, naive body. it could've swallowed him whole if he allowed himself to stand there for just a little longer, but ricky bowen was already late to the first most important event of his career, so he disappeared through the revolving doors of the lobby before he could allow the structure to envelope him.

he traveled in the elevator to the fourth floor, metal doors opening to reveal a luxurious, modern waiting room. ricky couldn't take in too many of the details, like the flamboyant colors and quirky egg chairs, for the room was buzzing. although packed with businessmen and women in professional suits, the room was also peppered with young adults wearing business casual. ricky could only assume they were the other artists celebrating their signing today, since they would were rising champagne glasses while making energetic small talk. ricky was frozen for a bit, standing at the entrance to the waiting room beside a tray of hors d'oeuvres that was half barren already. he was about to nervously retreat into the bathroom when he felt a presence beside him, one that seemed equally as terrified as him.

"hi," the figure squeaked, ricky slowly moving his head to look at who stood next to him. staring ahead at the chaos that was the waiting room was a short blond girl, golden locks tied in a ponytail. she wore a pair of dress pants and a white blouse, neck and ears decked out in jewelry.

"um, hey," ricky mumbled, waiting for her to make eye contact with him.

the stranger finally looked at him, her eyes a shade of greenish blue. "you're a newbie, too?" she asked, but it sounded more like a confident statement. ricky wondered if he was being too obvious.

"y–yeah. i am," ricky replied with a stutter. "you?"

she nodded. "i've been hiding in the bathroom from this horrifying group of old people i don't know ever since i got here."

ricky let out an airy chuckle. "sounds like something i was just about to do."

"us kids should stick together, then," the blond smiled, ricky reciprocating the expression as he felt his ice cold body warm with comfort. she stuck her hand out for ricky to shake. "margo richardson."

the boy took her hand welcomingly. "ricky bowen."

"well, ricky bowen," margo continued after letting go of ricky's hand, "do i have to worry about you being my competition?"

ricky laughed, appreciative of how comfortable she was with sharing sarcastic humor early on. "why don't i show you what you're up against?"

___

"no, that's not fair!" margo wheezed as she laughed, head flying backwards. "i–i can barely play guitar with my dominant hand, meanwhile you can play with both?"

the two had taken shelter in one of the label's empty studios just down the hall, one that ricky took note of on his first visit months ago. the boy rested the studio guitar on his thigh after he concluded the flaunting of his obscure talent – playing guitar with his left and right hand. "that's one point for ricky, none for margo," he bragged, margo rolling her eyes as she came down from her laughter.

"don't forget me when you become this superstar, ambidextrous musician," margo joked.

"how could i?" ricky rhetorically asked, rising from the couch to place the guitar on its stand. "you're my first hollywood friend."

"and you should be honored that you're mine," margo winked, ricky laughing in return. the girl pulled her knees to her chest, settling deeper into the opposite couch. "so, how did ben find you?" she genuinely inquired.