eleven

"How's being locked up?"

"How's Mike? Still an bitch?"

"How's Tomas? Still a dick?"

Both Macon and Michonne eye each other closely, the civilians looking a bit confused at the whole matter.

"You know each other?" Daryl questions.

"Cousins," Macon responds, continuing to eye Michonne. "We're not on good terms-"

"We were never on good terms," she cuts her off. Macon scoffs loudly.

"Who's fault is that?"

"It definitely wasn't mine." Macon takes in a very, very deep breath, rubbing her eyes tiredly. Deciding it'd be for the best, she walks out, the door hitting the wall with a loud bang.

Walking out to the courtyard, she stops once she's far enough from the prison, letting out the breath she was holding. "Fucking cunt," she groans, pushing her hair from her face. Looking back at the prison, she sucks on her teeth, finding all the pent-up rage she had pushed away back for vengeance. "Fuck you," she mumbles aloud, turning her head to look at the yard.

She's out there for some time before she hears a door open. Looking back she sees it's Daryl.

"Guess y'all are done talking," she suggests, turning her body towards him.

"We're having a group discussion, need your two cents," he says, waving her to follow him. She jogs behind him, going into the prison hall where the rest of the civilians and prisoners were.

"How do you know we can trust her?" Oscar questions aloud.

"This is Maggie and Glenn. Why are we even debating?" the blonde says, Daryl and Macon just arriving. Macon leans against the railing of the stairs, giving Carol a small wave.

"I mean, Michonne's a bitch, but she isn't a liar," Macon shrugs.

"Yeah, but you haven't seen her in years," Oscar adds.

"Well, no matter what, we still gotta go after your folks," she counters.

"Well, the place sounds pretty secure, though," Rick pipes in. "We're going to need a group."

"Well, you know I'm all for it," Daryl says, Macon raising her hand in agreement.

"Might as well get out this dump for a few," she says. Oscar also agrees to go. Soon, everyone goes their separate ways to prepare for the rescue mission.

Macon carries a bag out to one of the cars they'll be driving in, placing it in the trunk, Daryl right behind her.

"Flashbangs, the tear gas. Never know what you're going to need," Daryl says aloud. Macon gets distracted, however, spotting Carol some feet away from them with the baby in her hands. She walks over to the two, a soft smile on her face.

"What's her name?"

"We haven't picked one out yet. Daryl's been calling her Ass-Kicker, though." She bounces her gently, the baby trying to grab at her hand. "Do you want to hold her?" Macon's face pales, taking a step away instantly. "Macon, it's a baby, calm down," Carol deadpans, moving towards the ex-convict.

"I-I don't know about this. I'm gonna break it," she says, making Carol roll her eyes even more as she places the baby in her tense arms. Macon stares at it warily, the old guy with one leg limping over to them on crutches.

"Carol, why are you messing with her?" he jokes. Carol rolls her eyes, finally taking the baby from Macon. As soon as it's out of her arms, she lets out a heavy breath, pushing her hair from her face. "I don't think we've properly met. Name's Hershel Greene." He holds his hand out to her. She eyes him for a split second before giving him a handshake.

"Macon Hawthorne." A small smile forms on her face, finally getting a proper greeting in however many years.

"The girly over there is Beth, my daughter. And I think you'd get along with my other daughter, Maggie, just fine." She nods her head softly.

"I'll make sure Maggie is safe, as is Glenn."

"Hey." Daryl comes over, giving Hershel a nod before turning to Carol and the baby. "Make sure y'all stay safe, alright?"

"Nine lives, remember?"

"C'mon." She follows him to the car silently, getting into the passenger side as Rick rides with Oscar and Michonne. Turning in her seat, she watches as the prison gets smaller and smaller before being covered by trees, a quiet sigh escaping her. "What's wrong with you?" he asks, giving her a quick glance over.

"Just ain't left that prison in years." She turns back to sit in her seat properly.

"Ain't you the one who wanted to leave?"

"I did. Just different actually doing it, you know?" Macon looks out the window for a bit, watching as the trees pass by. Rolling down the window a bit, she takes in a deep and heavy breath, taking in the smell of fresh air. A soft smile forms on her lips before rolling the window back up. "Definitely don't miss the smell of musty-ass people."

"Why were you in prison anyhow?" he wonders. She turns her body towards him, giving him her full attention. Who knew he'd be the talking type? She didn't.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Just curious," he shrugs. She nods silently for a few moments.

"I was pretty good at stealing," she says nonchalantly. Daryl gives her a quick glance over, brow raised in doubt. "What?"

"That's it?"

"Yeah. I know. Pretty big letdown, huh?" she chuckles. "Should've lied and said I robbed a bank or beat someone with a bat or something." Her words make him snort lightly. "What did you do before all this shit hit?" He gives her a look.

"Why do you wanna know?"

"You ask a question, I ask one back," she states plainly, making Daryl roll his eyes. "It's fair."

"Yeah, yeah," he scoffs. He pauses for a moment, his eyes glazing over as he stares at the car in front of him. Macon watches him idly, seeing his expression change slowly. "I didn't do much. Just went from place to place really with my brother."

She hears the calmness in his voice, but he sounds distant. Seeing him barely react, she decides to change the topic. "I got another question for you, buddy." Her joking tone gets Daryl's attention, and he nods his head at her to continue. "What type of name is Daryl?" Her question makes him snort, an almost invisible smile on his lips.

"Ain't you the one named after a city?" he retorts. Macon mocks shock, a scoff leaving her lips.

"Fuck you, Brownie. Actually, just for that, I'm gonna start calling you Big D."

"Fuck you too," Daryl scoffs, a soft smirk on his lips. Both allow the silence to fall, both surprisingly comfortable with each other despite barely knowing each other. It makes Daryl overthink a good bit, his smirk disappearing after a moment.