𝕽𝖊𝖖𝖚𝖎𝖊𝖒 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖆 𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉 𝖔𝖓𝖊

Stars above and stars below.

From the topmost floor of the high-rise hotel that he was standing on the balcony of, Venice under the night was like a cloudless starry sky under him. Quite literally, perhaps. After all, the biggest, shiniest places of the city were finally under his control; he was quite literally close to being the King of Venice behind the shadows; at least until he succeeded in his next step of becoming the King of the entirety of Italy.

A knock behind made him turn his head and the visitor addressed him.

"Signor Volta...... È qui."

On his subtle gesture, the man stepped away and a while later brought along someone with him into the room.

Volta turned around and walked inside from the balcony.

"I'm sorry... For your loss... It's a shame what happened to your family."

"Non mi diverto, Signor Volta..."

Volta grinned lopsidedly at the guest.
"Le chiedo scusa, Signor Rossi..."

~~~

Clicks of the computer mouse echoed across the entire study as the afternoon sunlight lit up the room, a few beams through the window lighting up the dust floating in the air, along with the smoke of the cigarette floating past. Danny scrolled across the rows of data in the monitor of the computer at the desk, strenuously staring at it with his squinted eyes.

"You don't understand the concept of breaks, do you?"

"I don't understand," Danny addressed Teresa, dragging in a puff of the half-burnt cigarette between his fingers while his sister leaning against the now-empty shelves billowed her hand through the smoke in disgust.

"What? The concept of breaks, or-"

"Why was he working for Volta when he had been receiving nothing at all in return?" Tossing his burning cigarette out through the open window, Danny made a few rapid clicks on the buttons of the mouse. "He seems to have had no possessions of his own. Volta never even paid him for all that information he was receiving about us."

"What was it that he was looking for here anyway?"

"That's a whole other question that I still don't have the answer to," he replied as Teresa bent down to stare at the screen. "Whatever it was, I don't think he managed to find out, because all the information Rossi forwarded was financial stuff, most of which Volta was unable to make use of. He did end up stealing and smuggling some of our goods, but, it didn't leave a big hole. He wouldn't have continued living with the L/n's for so long had he uncovered whatever it was."

"What about his fake I. D.?"

"Well, his fake I. D. can be sourced to Vittorio Volta. That's the only thing he gave him. Around the time Passione had finished putting its mark on Naples, Rossi seems to have contacted him after returning from overseas. Within a span of three months, they had only two meetings, during which the fake I. D. seems to have been set up. And then they proceeded to never meet again, and only stay in contact over phone, e-mails, and letters and parcels."

"You know I'm starting to think that he liked Volta. That doesn't sound okay, considering he literally killed his brothers."

"You don't say?" Danny swiveled the chair away from the computer desk and sighed. "He was quite the only straight-laced kid in the Rossi family, from what we now know of him. There seems to be no reason for him to do all this... What did we miss?"

"1986... He returned to Italy in 1986, didn't he?" Teresa mumbled.

"That sure is an important year for the L/n's."