Chapter 3

While I was content to spend every moment with Samantha, I knew that I could be suffocating. I had tendencies to become wrapped up entirely in my love life, throw a baby into the mix and I knew I was going to become overbearing quickly. In an effort to make sure Samantha didn't get sick of my constant hovering, I did the best I could to fill my time with other things.

The studio was always my first choice but Joel and I had really come to love hiking and rock climbing lately. Sundays were the only day Samantha allowed herself to sleep in, so I kissed her cheek while she slept and I left at daybreak to meet Joel at the trailhead.

He was pulling on his gear as I parked, a huge smile on his face when I slid out of the driver's seat,

"Mornin', brother."

I smiled in return. I moved to the back of my own truck to get out my gear,

"You ready for this?"

"More than you know...need to work out some angst."

I pulled my shoes on, a slight bit of confusion coloring my face,

"Angst? Trouble in paradise, Mate?"

He shrugged,

"You know how it goes. Some days are better than others." He grabbed his water bottle, "Gonna make this trail my bitch...then go home and apologize to my fiance for being a child."

I laughed,

"Sounds about right."

I followed him out onto the trail after pushing the key to lock my car doors. I loved this trail and I was excited to try some of the rock ledges we'd seen the last time we were up here,

"So..." I started after we walked for a bit, "You two have an argument or something?"

"Not really an argument." He said after a few deep breaths. This trail was kind of harsh in the beginning, "I think it's just sinking in for both of us."

"Sinking in?" I asked. Wow, I was in good shape but this was even kicking my ass.

"Yeah...you know...we're about to be married. You know what that means."

"What does that mean?" I asked as I stopped to look at him.

"Our honeymoon period is over. We're it now. Never gonna kiss anyone else...never gonna..." He let his sentence trail off but quirked his eyebrows so I knew just what he meant.

"And that's a problem?" I said as I turned to start walking again.

"Not really a problem. Just...a realization..."

I processed what he was saying for a bit. My engagement to Gwen had been a pinnacle in our relationship. I couldn't imagine things getting any better between us and the idea of kissing or sleeping with someone else made me wanna throw up. She was it for me. Losing her felt like I'd lost a limb. And while Samantha wasn't into the whole marriage idea, I felt the same for her. Samantha didn't want to get married and I had accepted that, but that didn't change how I felt about her. I was more than ready to spend the reset of my life with Samantha. I didn't want to be with anyone else. I was positive.

"Your silence is making me think you don't know what that feels like." He commented after we found a good place to set up shop for some climbing.

I set to attaching my safety harness with a shrug,

"I don't wanna be with anyone else." I replied, "Just Samantha."

Joel laughed softly,

"Yeah, that's what I figured you'd say."