Chapter 1

When Ye Lizhu woke up, her chest felt tight.

Ye Lizhu was born on the fifteenth day of July, with natural cold air[1] and ridden with evil spirits, and has been in poor health since then. When she was a child, the eminent monk said that if she wants to keep on living, she must become a nun and spend her life in a temple.

However, Ye Lizhu's father loved her the most. How could he be willing to part with such a good daughter to let her become a nun?

One winter night when she was three years old, Ye Lizhu's nurse was careless; she forgot to close the window before going to bed, causing her to be frozen all night. She fell seriously ill and nearly died of fever.

Ye Lizhu's father is the current Prime Minister. Prime Minister Ye invited a famous doctor to treat her, barely saving her life. However, when Ye Lizhu was five years old, Prime Minister Ye saw that she was getting weaker and weaker, and didn't dare to have her at home anymore. He sent Ye Lizhu to the Ming Buddhist Temple. From then on, Prime Minister Ye could only meet Ye Lizhu during festivities.

Ye Lizhu has been practicing Buddhism in Ming Buddhist Temple for almost ten years, and in two months, it will be her fifteenth birthday.

In recent days, her health is getting worse; she often coughs, has chest pains, and her handkerchiefs full of bloodstains. The temple Abbot said that Ye Lizhu was not willing to cut her hair to become a nun and break away from the mundane world. The Buddha can no longer protect her, and can only let her go home as soon as possible. Perhaps, she might have a chance to meet a noble person.

Ye Lizhu opened the cyan muslin veil with one hand.

She had just woken up, her black hair fell down loosely, and her white clothes were messy, revealing a delicate and slender collarbone.

Ye Lizhu grew up to be so beautiful. She herself didn't know that even though the nuns in the temple never discussed women's looks, in their hearts and minds, Ye Lizhu was indeed extraordinarily beautiful.

Although she is still young, her physique is soft, just like a slender willow swaying in the wind[2], and her skin is like ice and snow. She is naturally charming, especially a pair of peach blossom eyes like a pool of spring water, always seeming to seduce others. In contrast, a little cinnabar red between her eyes adds a little bit of loveliness and innocence. The combination of charm and innocence is the most fatal.

Because of her poor health, her complexion is often pale, and her lips pale pink.

In the temple, no one is allowed to serve others. Therefore, Ye Lizhu washes her face and wears clothes by herself.

She wore a cyan robe which shrouded her exquisite figure, sat by the window, gathered up her ink-black hair, and put on a little cyan hat.

Ye Lizhu went to the back of the mountain and took a handful of spring water to wash her face and hands. When she was about to return, she heard two familiar voices.

"I heard from Master that Zhuzhu is going back this month."

"Zhuzhu is going back? Back where?"

The people gossiping were two young disciples under Master Wu Xin, the abbot of Ming Buddhist Temple: Qing Shuang and Qing Hui.

Qing Shuang said: "By the way, you don't know this because when Zhuzhu came to the temple, you still weren't here yet. Master has not spoken about this but Zhuzhu isn't an ordinary lady, but rather the daughter of a high-ranking official, even a petty official still has to kneel down in front of Zhuzhu's father. Now that Zhuzhu is fifteen years old, Master wants her to go back home."

Qing Hui knows that Ye Lizhu usually has no arrogance, neither haughty nor indifferent. Although her body is a little worse, everyone in the temple likes her. Hearing that Ye Lizhu is going to leave, Qing Hui felt somewhat uncomfortable: "Ah? Zhuzhu is leaving? I previously said to wait till I've saved enough money to buy a nice pearl hairpin for Zhuzhu."

Everyone in the temple has shaved head, except Ye Lizhu who has beautiful long hair. Although one can't see it because of the hat, everyone knows. However, Qing Hui always thought that Ye Lizhu had already become a Buddhist nun and was practicing spiritual cultivation.

"Huh, you're not worried that you won't be able to buy pearl hairpins for Zhuzhu, but rather, you worry that once Zhuzhu is gone, no one will go down the mountain with you at the end of the month, you coward!" Qing Shuang muttered, "These years, Zhuzhu's father came back to see her during the holidays and also donated a lot of money. However, her mother had never been here. I heard that Zhuzhu's mother gave her a younger brother. Qing Hui, do you think Zhuzhu will get bullied when she returns home?"

Qing Hui didn't know. They've never talked about this in the temple. Master Wu Xin also didn't let them discuss mundane matters so they can only talk in private.

Qing Hui lifted the bucket and said, "Later, I will tell Zhuzhu, if she doesn't like her home and is bullied to come back early, we, along with Master, like her."

Ye Lizhu wiped her moist eyes with her still wet hands.