Chapter 3

Ye Fu'an said: "Lizhu, your mother... she had already passed away a long time ago."  

"What?" Ye Lizhu couldn't believe her ears.

For so many years, the only person who ever visited Ye Lizhu in the temple was Ye Fu'an. Ye Lizhu once secretly wondered if her mother despised her and didn't want her anymore, but this idea only appeared for an instant and was quickly dispelled. Now Ye Fu'an told her that her mother had long been gone, Ye Lizhu couldn't accept it for a while.  

There was a sweetness in her mouth, and she quickly covered her lips with her veil, looking at Ye Fu'an: "Father, what did you say?"

Ye Fu'an also noticed that Ye Lizhu's complexion has turned even more unsightly.

He originally didn't intend to tell Ye Lizhu, but while he could hide many things for some time, he couldn't hide them for a lifetime.

Moreover, Ye Lizhu's mother Jiang-shi[1] has passed away for more than eight years.

Ye Lizhu was young at the time, and Ye Fu'an was afraid that she couldn't take it. Now that Ye Lizhu is coming home, even if Ye Fu'an doesn't tell her, someone else will. Ye Lizhu ought to know about her mother.

Ye Fu'an said: "When you left, at that time, your mother was pregnant with your younger brother. When she gave birth, we were able to keep your younger brother, but your mother..."

Ye Lizhu's eyes suddenly widened.

It has been so long. Her mother passed away a long time ago.

However, she didn't know until now!

Ye Fu'an raised his hand and wiped Ye Lizhu's tears: "Lizhu, don't cry. Your mother gave birth to you, how could she not think of you? After giving birth to your brother, and she had severe bleeding, she kept repeating your name. She said whatever her outcome was, she didn't want me to tell you to always be filial. Hearing that her body wouldn't be able to hold on..."

Ye Lizhu entire person fell into tears, crying bitterly, and unable to utter a single word.

When Ye Fu'an finally coaxed her daughter to sleep, the sky was already dark.

As it was still quite far from the capital, they had to stay at an inn for tonight.

Ye Fu'an called a strong servant woman to carry Ye Lizhu in.

When the carriage has stopped, the sky was getting dark. Ye Fu'an's attendant entered the inn and asked the innkeeper to prepare the rooms. A short while later, the attendant came out.

"L-lord, all the rooms in the inn have been booked, and although there are some unused rooms, people are not allowed to move in."

Ye Fu'an glanced at Ye Lizhu. Ye Lizhu's eyes were red and swollen like peaches, and her complexion was white as jade, delicate and weak. With such a lovely daughter, it is naturally impossible to let her be wronged.

Ye Fu'an sneered: "Who's occupying the inn?"

He was the dignified Prime Minister and a senior official who has served two dynasties, even the emperor has to give him face[2]. Except for the Crown Prince, all the princes are eager to win him over. Ye Fu'an would like to see which audacious family actually dared to stop him.