𝗶𝗶. A LOAD OF DUFFERS

CHAPTER TWO────A LOAD OF DUFFERS

        In what feels like no time at all, I get settled into Hufflepuff. It's not what I thought, that's for sure. One thing I've realized in my relatively short time at Hogwarts is that Hufflepuff is different from most houses, in many ways. Not only are my housemates far less gruff and arrogant than the other houses, they are also incredibly kind, welcoming and patient. Eleanor once told me that Gryffindor is the best house because the people of that house are noble, and they are noble because they are brave—I fail to understand the logic behind her thoughts ever since I've been at Hogwarts—because nobility isn't bravery.

Bravery is a part of being a noble person. I'd argue that Hufflepuff's are the most noble people at Hogwarts, out of all the houses. Because we are kind, and nice, and inviting — we accept people for who they are, and we do not discriminate —against anyone. Does that mean I am noble? I let myself bask in such a thought for a few moments before I repudiate my own question. If I were noble, I wouldn't have to mention it, I would just know it. It's a conclusion I've drawn from the past seven days I've spent here. One I wouldn't have been able to draw had I stayed at home, had I been ten.

It's because Hogwarts gives off such a professional and yet, beautifully emotional atmosphere, one impossible to ignore—The atmosphere which has given way to the conclusion I have recently drawn. All houses in their own way are noble, somehow. I don't know how just yet. But I do know that all houses are noble. Because everyone is noble, in some way or the other, everyone is kind and good, they might not show it but they are. And if they aren't, then they were or they will be. Kindness is not something you're born with it, you develop with. With the help of your parents, or siblings, or your friends or even the world.

Because kindness is a part of life, and it's something everyone should know. It's one of the things Mum told me. I smile as I think of Mum, just a day after I wrote to her telling her that I'd gotten into Hufflepuff, she'd written back to me, and even though she wasn't with me—I just knew that there was a smile on her face writing the words she'd written. She was my mother, it was hard to imagine her without a smile on her face. Well, except for when Dad passed away. A wave of sadness envelopes me, but it isn't strong—the first three years were hard—Now, I've gotten used to him not being here with me or sending me letter telling me that he's happy that I got into Hufflepuff, like he did with Jacob—even if his words of pride are fabricated. At least, I'll have something to hold onto. Now I have nothing.