𝘃. IN BLOOM

CHAPTER FIVE────IN BLOOM

        When I'd first gotten them, I'd thought I had a disease. And quite honestly, who wouldn't? I'd ran throughout the house to Mum, despite the quaking in my legs and had whispered shamefully into her ear—what had I done? Why was blood dripping down my legs? Where did it start from? Had I gotten the rare disease due to which you had an absence of blood in the body? It was a rare disease in the Wizarding World, the last person to have gotten them died in 1456—she was born in 1440 and got the disease in 1455. At such a rate, I'd die in a year, perhaps two—but I'd die nonetheless. Getting a disease at the age of 13 and dying when I was 14—I'd be so unlucky. Fortunately, my worries seemed in vain as Mum had given me something—she told me that it was called a pad, told me how to apply it, and sent me to the washroom. Once I had done whatever she had told me to do, and replaced my undergarments—she'd told me what it was.

These things that were happening to me were not diseases, they were natural and due to them, I'd bleed every month, from there. I still turn red whenever I think about it. I suppose I shouldn't because it's now a normal part of life for me, at least according to Mum, but I cannot help it. Just because something is a normal part of my life does not mean that I am not allowed to embarrassed of it. I still am very much embarrassed of saying or implying things about there. On the complete contrary, Rachel is not afraid to say such things. And I very much admire her boldness. Although a bit of it confuses me, because I did not know that we could say such stuff so boldly. Because even Eleanor, who is the loudest and bravest person I know, says such things very quietly. Rachel, on the other hand, says things like she's not ashamed to say them. Just like my Mum is not. But I only find fear when I try to say such things out loud, I don't find fear in the fact that they happen and will continue to happen until I'm old.

"Syl, look, there's Rachel!" Charles says, his voice making my thoughts disappear as I turn around to meet Rachel who's smiling and running over to us. Rachel and I had spent half of the summer together. Sometimes we had sleepovers, and sometimes we just met up in Muggle cafes—Charles, Rachel and I had also spent a long part of the summer with each other. We'd met up every week, and even though that was a big number—It was less than the number of times Rachel and I met up with each other. Regardless, I felt much more closer to Rachel & Charles than I had before this vacation—perhaps it was because that we met up and went to Muggle fairs and rode on ferries and felt like we weren't just people who were friends when we were at Hogwarts, because that's how it felt prior to this vacation, but now, everything had changed. It felt like we were no longer what I had thought us to be (which was completely wrong, by the way) but there had been a time when the battlefield of my mind was ruled by insecurities and insecurities piled upon each other, but it no longer felt like that. Family and friends were everything. That was right and everything that contrasted with that statement—false.