chapter seven (we know)

The next morning, I wake up in Alex's room with a pounding headache.

How did I get here?

I look around to notice Sapnap and Dream sleeping on the foot of my bed. I sit up on the bed, looking around some more.

I haven't been in here for a long time. I've avoided it ever since he left. All this room reminds me of is the fact that Alex is gone, and that he might never come back.

I go to make some coffee and eat something. I don't turn on any lights that aren't necessary jut because of the light.

The boys woke up soon after me. We decided to watch movies together on the couch all day.

We're on the third Harry Potter movie when there's a knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Nick says as he stands up.

He opens the door. Dream and I can't see who it is from the angle we're sitting, but we can see Sapnap's facial expressions.

Surprise, worry, anger. A mix of all of those flash across his face.

"What are you doing here?" he asks the visitor.

"I could ask you the same thing. I, uh, need my camera charger." An all-too familiar voice says, "What are you doing here?"

I get up from the couch as soon as he starts to talk. My feet automatically want to run to him, but I stop myself. I can't see him right now, can I?

"I'm here for y/n." Nick says.

"Great." Alex says, "Just great. We break up, and you come running back into her life, huh? How many years have you been waiting for that one?"

"I'm not trying to date her, Quackity," Nick says calmly, "You of all people should know that."

"Well, I don't. I don't understand that every time we've had a major fight, you always show up afterwards?" Alex says angrily. "Is it you? Are you the reason that we're broken up? Are you the reason?"

"No, I'm have a-"

"You know what? I don't care anymore," Alex interrupts him, "You can do whatever the fuck you want. Actually, no. Don't you fucking dare lay a finger on her, you hear me?"

Dream steps around me to get to the door. "Listen, man. I think it's about time you leave."

"Oh, great you're here too. Is George about to walk out of the bathroom?" Alex says sarcastiscally.

I try to walk past the door fast, now that there's two people blocking Alex's view. I go into my closet to grab the charger. They're still talking when I come out.

"You know this wouldn't have happened if you had handled the situation right." Dream says.

Alex sounds more calm now, and a lot quieter, "You think I don't know that, Dream?"

My heart breaks a little at the tone of his voice. Does he have regrets?

I take a deep breath, preparing myself for the interaction I'm about to have.

I pop in between Nick and Clay, charger in hand.

Alex looks tired. His eyes are a little puffy, and his bags are a little more prominent, but overall he still looks like Alex.

And I fucking miss him.

I need to keep this conversation quick, otherwise I might make some stupid decisions.

"y/n I-" he starts to say.

"Here's your charger," I say dryly, shoving it in his hand.

He pauses for  a moment, looking up at me. He seems as if he expected something different. It's almost as if there was something other than a charger that caused him to show up at my door. After a moment of confliction, Alex settles on his next words. "Thanks," he says, understanding the social cues, "I'll get going then, bye."

Nick and Clay shut the door after saying bye, then turn to me.

"Are you okay?" Clay asks.

My lip quivers as the reality of what just happened sinks in. That was my first time seeing him since everything happened. "No."

"Come here," Nick says as they both engulf me in a hug.

I break down. I cry into their shoulders.

I think of how Alex looked just then. He looked like he hadn't slept in a while. Could that be because of the break up? He looked like he wanted to say more to me, but ultimately decided against it.

Did I want that to happen? Do I want to talk to him again after all that happened?

Does he miss me like I miss him? Does he think of me whenever something random happens? Does he have a hard time finding reasons to smile throughout the day?

I shake the thoughts out of my head. We're broken up, so we should be getting over each other, even though a part of me just wants to start over.

No. you broke up for a reason.

I can't go back to the way we were living. That was miserable. If only we could fall in love all over again. I want us to be able to be our best possible selves. Together.

But are we really our best selves if we're together? That's the question that has to be answered.

All the love in the world couldn't save a relationship if it's not meant to be.

I don't have any answers, so I just sob. I cry big fat tears as I think of all we used to be.

"I miss him," I whisper.

"We know," Nick whispers back.

author's note:

only eight more chapters to go...

have a good day :)

word count: 928