chapter twelve (awake)

We waited for almost an hour and a half. Austin had to leave because he has a little sister to pick up from school.

I just want to hear Alex's voice. That's all. I feel as if my whole life is crumbling around me, but I would feel so much better if I could just hear his voice.

My eyes feel like they're dragging on the floor. I lean against Karl as I close my eyes, but I don't find sleep. Everytime the door opens, I jump to see if it's for him. I just want him to be okay.

The door opens and Dave walks out with a big smile. I sit up straight to the see the familiar face.

My heart beats faster as they walk towards us. "He's awake, and he's asking for you," they say as they look at me.

I point to myself, "Me? He wants to see me?"

"You're his fiance, aren't you?" they laugh.

I smile a bit. He wants to see me. After all that fighting and time apart, he's asking for me.

"You go," Karl says quietly, nudging me, "I'll come in a bit,"

I nod, following Dave.

I try to smooth my hair before walking in, but I already know there is no help with it. I walk through the door that Dave's holding open.

Alex is in the same spot that I left him in. Except, this time he is sitting up with his eyes open.

He's watching as I enter the room.

"You look rough," he laughs a little, "how long has it been since you slept?"

My mouth pops open a little bit. Here he is with tubes sticking out of him in a hospital gown, and he's calling me rough.

"Speak for yourself," I retort, staying in my spot. I try to hide the fact that my eyes are tearing up. I'm just so relieved that he's back to normal, but he also looks like he's in pain. Isn't there some sort of medicine he can take?

"What? I just woke up from a very nice nap," he says with his little Alex smile.

I laugh, then wipe my eyes. I don't mean to get emotional. It's just been a rough couple hours that have led up to this point.

"Hey, I'm okay," he says softly, "come here." He nods to the chair next to him.

I slowly walk to the chair and sit down.

"Alex, I'm so sorry this happened," I say, breaking down. I choke back some tears as I try to keep myself from crying.

"No, don't cry, y/n." he says quietly, "I hate it when you cry."

That just makes me cry even more. I've just missed him so much, and he's worried about me. He's in the hospital and he's asking me to not cry.

Get it together, y/n.

"I'm so sorry this happened. You don't deserve it. I hate that you-" My breath hitches a little bit. "I'm so sorry,"

"Hey, look at me," he says, trying to get me to calm down. I look up to meet his eyes. 

He gives me a gentle smile, "Breathe."

I take a deep breath, feeling a little better.

"It is not your fault that I got hurt. It's nobody's fault, really," he says calmly.

I sniffle once. "I'm just so glad you're okay," I say with a little smile, "I don't know what I would've done without you."

"Don't worry," he smiles, "the world is still stuck with me."

That world is one lucky place, and I am so glad to be living in it.

"Thank goodness," I say.

We're quiet for a moment.

"How are you feeling?" I ask. It's a question I should've asked ages ago.

"Kinda..." he thinks of a word for a minute, "eh."

"Eh?" I ask, laughing a bit.

"Yeah, I've been better, I've been worse," he says with a shrug.

"Well, if you need anything," I say, "then let me know."

"Could you..." he stops to consider something, "Could you hold my hand for a bit?"

I smile at his question. I reach out and hold his hand. He squeezes it tight as if he's afraid to lose me.

I don't mind because I'm a little afraid to lose him, too.

We sit in a peaceful quiet, just enjoying each other's presence.

The door is hesitantly opened as Karl walks into the room.

"Hey, man," Alex says with a smile. He didn't let go of my hand when someone else was in the room.

"How you feeling?" Karl goes to sit next to me. I can see him glance at our hands but doesn't seem to question a thing.

"I'm alright," Alex nods, "I got in a little accident, but we're still breathing, right doc?" He asks Dave, who just walked in.

"Alex, that's not a doctor," Karl laughs.

"Not a doc," Dave laughs, "but I can tell you that you're still breathing."

"All that matters," Alex smiles.

I'm so glad to hear that voice of his. It seems like music to my ears. I feel as if I'm listening to a song that used to be my favorite, or my favorite musician just dropped an album after being quiet for a while. Either way, it's a good feeling.

Alex's eyes watch Dave's every move as they walk around the room. Once Dave's gone, Alex whispers, "Karl, come here."

"What?" Karl follows his lead and whispers, leaning in to hear.

"Could you find where they put my beanie?" Alex sneakily whispers as if it's a crime, "I feel kind of naked without it."

"You got it, boss," Karl gives a thumbs up before leaving.

I laugh at the little interaction.

Alex and I sit in a comfortable quiet. His eyes seem to get droopier as time goes on until he finally gives in and he closes them.

I smile as I sit in peace next to him. I know we're not together, and this brief intermission of our break up will soon be over, but for a while I want to pretend like our relationship is okay. I want to go with my little white lie and say that we're still engaged.

Just until the storm of our lives returns, I want to pretend I have my Alex back.

author's note:

GUYS I HAVE A GEORGE X READER COMING OUT! IT'S CALLED 'STAYING WITH A STRANGER'

HOPE YOU'RE ENJOYING! SAD TO SAY IT'S ALMOST OVER :(

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!

word count: 1083