7. Searching

This time when Raven entered the ocean, it felt more comforting. It was almost as if the dark waves called to her.

"Tell me if you see anyone."

Raven glanced up at Damian, who swam through the waters with a determined look in his eyes. Whether he wanted to remain human, or wanted to get rid of her, she didn't know. Despite his attitude, she felt welcomed by his presence, and she would be lying if she wanted him gone.

"It feels different today," Raven decided to inform as she caught up to his speed. "The water actually feels nice."

"That's good," Damian said, before adding, "I think."

Suddenly, he gave her a funny look and froze. Raven noticed this and stopped a couple of feet away from him, a confused expression on her face.

"What?"

"Shit," Damian mumbled, swimming around her. "You're going to draw too much attention with that."

Raven's confusion remained. Her head tilted down to look at her appearance. "With what?"

"Your human heart," Damian answered, bringing up a hand up to rest on his face in annoyance. "It's bright. Look, I know you're sad or whatever about that boy you love, but try to keep your emotions in check. Sirens don't feel anything; they're like empty shells."

Raven let out a huff before relaxing her face. When Damian was satisfied, he continued to lead the way through the dark water.

"Hey!"

The sudden call caused Damian and Raven both to halt, searching for the source. A dark-skinned girl with a rosy-colored tail waved to them from the ocean floor. Her eyes were a golden shade of brown, and beaded jewelry decorated her neck. Raven's gaze traveled downward, and her face flushed at the sight of an exposed chest.

"Oh, it's just you," Damian said before letting out a sigh of relief. He watched as he made her way toward them.

Raven was unsure of how to act around the stranger, so she remained by his side quietly.

"She's a friend," Damian assured her in a whisper as they approached the girl. "We haven't named each other yet."

"Who is this... human?"

Damian moved so the shocked girl was able to take in Raven's appearance. "I've got a lot of explaining to do."

The girl glanced back to him, her eyes widening even more. When she noticed Raven's nervous stare, she shyly crossed her arms over her chest. "Yes, you do."

Raven looked at the two in confusion, unsure of what to say. Damian glanced back to her and dropped his head with a shameful look.

"I tried to pass my curse onto her. For some reason, it didn't work, and instead split it between the two of us. I'm trying to find the Poseidon so we can reverse it."

The girl lifted her eyebrows as she processed the information. "Wow... I didn't even know that was possible," she began, her eyes tracing Raven. "What's your name?"

"I'm Raven," Raven introduced and returned the gesture. "Damian told me you're his friend, but he didn't tell me your name."

"Damian?" The girl questioned hesitantly, before letting her lips curl into a smile. "Hm. That suits him. Well, I've... never known my name, actually."

Raven frowned. "Why don't you pick one?"

"There's no reason," She responded, her smile fading. "Sirens aren't technically supposed to communicate with each other. They're designed to be alone."