Chapter 1

I drove to the first place my brain let me of. The college my Dad went to. College Park. It seemed like the best place to go to. There are some many places to hide out if you know the grounds well enough. I got out of the car and strolled down the street toward the Science building.

“Who the hell are you?” A voice called out from the darkness as I made my way across the huge field the marching band would use for practice, if they all weren’t dead and people weren’t mysteriously becoming zombies.

I looked around, the grip on my dead little brother’s bat tightening. Whoever it was I didn’t know if I could trust them yet. They could kill me, they could be one of those crazies that could eat me and not give it a second thought. “I’m definitely not a zombie.” I shouted.

“That wasn’t the question he asked! He asked who you are.” Another voice called out, but this one was behind me at least a few feet away.

“Annie.” I yelled. There was silence for a while until I heard shoes crunching the grass beneath their feet, multiple footsteps made their way toward me. In front of me stood a boy with messy brown hair, huge rectangular glasses, and a fierce look in his eyes that made me nervous. Glancing to my right I saw a girl with long red hair in a ponytail, a frown practically indented into her facial expression. To my left was another boy with black hair, an eyebrow piercing, and his arms crossed as he scanned my appearance, sizing me up. All three of them had dried blood on their shirts and a little bit on their faces as well. My legs were still shaking slightly from killing my Dad. These guys seemed to have worse luck than I did though. I had a feeling that they killed more than just one person.

“I’m Aaron.” The boy in front of me grumbled after a few seconds of very uncomfortable silence. He introduced the girl as Haley and the other male as Jinxx; they all met up after successfully escaping their class. They killed everyone near them that showed even a sign of turning into the yellow-eyed heart eating zombies. Once they made sure that I wasn’t a threat they led me to Harford Hall.

That was one the only apartment buildings that would barely have anyone there which meant less zombies to kill. I stayed a few feet away from the three of them when we entered the building. They didn’t seem dangerous, but I couldn’t take any chances. I didn’t know anything about them. Jinxx seemed to be the leader out of the three of them. He walked in the front, mumbling commands to Aaron and Haley while they walked together. Aaron glanced back at my a few times to make sure I was still with them. Probably wondering why I was walking so far behind them when it was clear they would’ve hurt me already when they confronted me on the field.

We made our way to the second floor and started to search the rooms. Well, they searched rooms while I continued to walk down the gloomy hallway. There weren’t any bodies on the ground but you could see bloody handprints on the wall. The dimly lit hallway seemed to make the walkway even more eerie than it already was. When I was halfway down the aisle a familiar scent drifted from the room to my right. A shaky breath emitted from my mouth and I took small steps toward the door. Then pressed my ear to the closed door, hoping to hear a noise inside the room. Nothing. The smell got stronger now that I was pressed up against the door.

There was no doubt that there was a zombie in the room. My left hand squeezed the handle of the bat, adrenaline suddenly coursed through me. Without hesitation my free hand turned the knob to the door and slammed it open. I wasn’t prepared for a body to launch itself on me. I choked on my scream after I was thrown to the other side of the hallway. My back slammed on the wall and I stared as the zombie slid its way toward me. The glowing yellow eyes never moving away from my face. Growns leaving its mouth with every step it took. I swung my bat at its head but it didn’t stop moving forward to me. I swung harder, bashing its forehead in a little but not enough to kill it.