Prologue (Edited)

It’s been exactly six months, three weeks, two days, and seven hours since it happened. When the world got shot to hell. Everyone thought it was a joke. They played it off as if it would never happen. But it has, it still is.

I can still remember the day I found out.

                    ****

“Annie!” My eyes sprung open when I heard my little brother scream my name. I looked around frantically for David. He wasn’t in my room. Normally when he screamed my name he was right next to me because of his daily nightmares. He’d want to sleep in the bed with me instead of our dad. Then I heard his scream again, louder this time. “Annie!”

I threw my covers off of my body and quickly got to my feet. Ignoring the freezing cold of the floor, I jog to my bedroom door and swung it wide open. “David. Where are you?” A frantic wail sent a shockwave throughout the house and I felt my blood run cold. That sound wasn’t normal. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I realized that the noise was coming from my brother’s room. It felt like an eternity until I reached his door. The door was opened slightly and I could hear labored breathing from inside. Pushing the door open a little, I peeked into the room. “David…baby, are you okay?”

When I didn’t get an answer I opened the door even wider. There was a figure scratching my brother’s closet door. I tiptoed over to the figure trying not to make a sound. Low groans were escaping its mouth as it continued to mess with the closed door. Once I was three feet away I noticed that the figure’s motions were slow as if it was tired. My foot bumped into David’s aluminum baseball, causing it to fall. The echo of it lasted a few seconds, but in a heartbeat the figure turned around facing me. Its skin peeling away, the smell was terrible, but I recognized it immediately: death. That wasn’t what terrified me though. What scared me was that the figure in front of me was my dad.

His kind brown eyes were now a glowing yellow, and his caramel skin was now gray, and peeling off of him. Those eyes that were usually gentle and compassionate were now filled with hunger. Hunger for me. I was so shocked that I couldn’t move when he made his way toward me. Before I knew it I was knocked down on my back, gasping for air, and pushing my dad away from me. He made moves to try and bite my arms but he couldn’t bend his head far enough to make contact. Then I remembered the baseball bat. Hot tears ran down my face. I couldn’t believe that I was about to do this. With a swift kick to my dad’s stomach, he flew backward and landed on his back with a loud thud. I crawled to the baseball bat and grabbed it with my trembling hands.

My dad was beginning to get up when I swung the bat down on his face. Tears continued to run down my face as I swung the bat down again and again and again. By the time I knew he was finally and officially dead, my face, hands and bat were covered in blood. I was crying hysterically, hunched in front of Dad’s dead body. A few minutes later I found my brother’s body on the other side of the bed, his blood starting to dry on the floor under him. It didn’t even look like my brother. Some parts of his legs were gone, and his right arm had most of his skin torn away. The worst part had to be his chest. His stomach had a gaping bite wound, you could see his intestines, and his heart was gone. That must have been the only thing my dad wanted from him.

I couldn’t even believe my eyes. I fell to my knees, and stared at my seven-year-old brother. He wasn’t even going to live his life. For a few more minutes I cried until I couldn’t anymore. Then I grabbed his bat numbly, took my Dad’s car keys, walked out of the house, and I didn’t look back. Not once.

                    ****

        Now I am laying on my stomach, taking my aim on a zombie slowly

approaching my hideout. Being a sniper had to be the easiest thing I’ve had to do

since the world has been shot to hell. After I left my house I drove my Dad’s car all

the way down to College Park. One of the biggest campuses in Maryland. A few

days after I got here I met Jinxx, Haley, and Aaron; they were just as scared as I

was after finding out that people were turning into zombies one by one.

 Author's Note

What do you think?? Vote! Comment! Eat a taco ^.^