Chapter Fifteen

I'D BEEN AT THE LITTLE PALACE FOR ALMOST THREE WEEKS NOW. I still hadn't heard from Mal, hadn't received a letter. I'd written to him in my free time but hadn't gotten the time to ask Genya about sending them. I missed him, hoped he was doing alright, we'd never gone this long without sending letters back and forwards before, But at the same time I hoped one of the Grisha explained to him why I was being taken away, Saints knows that he'd struggled with proximity; and that he'd done so much for me when I'd been back in Kribirsk, a part of me was glad that i had left that life behind—put it in the past. But I would never put my best friends that I'd known since...... well Since I was three.... in the past. He always wanted to be with me, keep me safe for my father, he'd always promised he would, but how can he protect me if he's two hundred and thirty something miles away from me?

"I can't believe you actually spilled wine all over his Kefta Marie," I laughed; She groaned lolling her head back with a groan. "How many times do I have to say it was a accident and, it was his fault! He was distracting me." She huffed nudging me with her foot. "Enough about me though," I furrowed a brow as she leaned forward resting her elbows on her knees. "What's going on with you and the General?"

She was smirking; Nadia choked on her wine covering her mouth with her hand. My eyes widen, I hadn't been expecting that. I opened and closed my mouth not knowing exactly what to say. I stammered, "What— I don't... I don't know what you're talking about," I felt heat rise up to my chest, Nadia scoffed, "Come on, Maira, we aren't dumb." I looked between the two before lifting my chin up stubbornly. "I don't know what guys are talking about," There smirks grew. I huffed, "Seriously I don't know."

"Whatever you say, but then again, every time we bring him up in a conversation you blush." Marie quipped, "it's all right you know, He's interested in you, you are him, it makes since, Cute couple goals." I glared at Marie. She's right though, you are interested in him. But— "I'm just saying," Marie said to Nadia, "One of them needs to start admitting it. I may not be the Generals favorite Grisha but at least i understand his body language." I furrowed my brows at Marie. What the hell was that supposed to mean? I rolled my eyes when their eyes flickered back to me. "You guys are quite the handful," I mumbled picking up my wine glass and drowned it down like it was nothing.

"Yeah well, you're quite the pain in our asses," Nadia snarked with a smirk. I huffed before pouring some more wine into my glass. "Easy on the wine darling," Genya's voice said from beside me. I looked over to her and sighed, "Shut up." I mumbled drowning the second glass. She laughed as she sat down on the arm rest. "Give her a break, Baghra's been giving her hell," Nadia said. I shook my head letting my head relax on Genya's thigh.

"Told you she was a peach." Genya quipped. "Yeah, well, she said she wants me there extra early tomorrow," Genya pat my head. "Yes, and then you still have combat," I nodded. "Yeah, well as long as there's no Zoya then I'll be fine," I sighed.

"She's not as bad you know," Marie said. I looked over to her with wide eyes, "I mean yes she can be an ass.... but she's just jealous. You are the only besides Zoya that has captured the Generals attention." I shook my head. "When did you start standing up for her?" Nadia asked, her nose wrinkling up. Marie sighed out loudly, "Well unlike you all, I actually think she's hot and would try sleeping with her," I went to take a sip of wine and chocked.

"Ewwwww Marie!" Genya scolded. "I'm just saying," Marie held up her arms in surrender, eyes wide, "She's most likely good in bed, I've heard several of the Grisha say it." I gagged letting my head relax back against Genya's thigh. "Yeah well, I'm just saying, eww," I shrieked. Marie rolled her eyes.

"Think whatever you want, but I will. Anyways, so that I'm not the center of attention any longer. Maira—" She started that smirk rising on her lips. I groaned, not again. "You and the General." I shook my head; we literally established this a few minutes ago.

"My saints Marie, give the girl a minute to breath. She's absolutely drowning in her affairs with the General...." I gaped up at Genya who know had a smirk on her lips. "You too?" I sighed rolling my eyes. I leaned forward resting my arms on my knees. "There's nothing going on with me and the General, so can we please drop it." I mean I knew I was lying but I didn't want to give them that satisfaction of wining.

We sat and talked for about thirty minutes, Marie continued to tease me about Aleksander and Nadia was gossiping on about everything going on around the Little Palace and the Grand. "Ms. Costov," A female voice said from the door. We all turned and she, lowered her head with a blush. "Yes?" I called back softly. "General Kirigan requests your presence in his chamber," I blinked, mouth agape; but then Genya stomped my foot narrowing her brows. "Alright thank you," I called smiling at her, she bowed and departed out the door. I turned back to the the girls, and they all had smirks plastered on their lips. Damn you all.

"Hmmmmm," Genya started, "Wonder what that could be about." She quipped. She pats my head, but I slapped her hand away with a scowl. I got to my feet brushing off my Kefta before sighing loudly. "He's probably just wanting to check up on me." The girls scoffed. "Yeah, he's 'checking' up on you. No girl has ever gotten such a privilege." Nadia said teasingly.

"Yeah well, Nadia, there's a first time for everything." I shot back before walking to the door. "Don't get to excited!" Marie shouted as i began my way down the hall. I scoffed but let a smile spread across my face.

To be continued.....

1,109 words written.

I know it's a shorter chapter but the next one will be worth it. Also this week will be hectic for me so there will probably only be two or three updates.