- 016

↳ [ the newsies banner ] ੈ‧₊˚ ┊͙

warning:

"D'YOU MEAN WHAT YOU WROTE HERE?" Jack questioned, holding out a piece of paper as soon as Denton opened his door. Davey, Les and Eleanor stood behind him.

"'Bout all these ... sweatshop kids listenin' to me?" He waited for an answer.

"I don't write anything I don't mean." Denton told them, "well, come on in. I was just packing a few things." He smiled at the teens as they walked in.

Dave shut the door behind him, Les walking around with ellie as they looked around.

"So yes, I meant it. This city thrives on child labour. A lot of people make money that way. They're terrified that the newsies' strike will spread." The man explained to the girl and three boys.

Eleanor leant against the wooden dresser against the wall, "well there's really not much chance of that as long as they got the power."

"Sometimes all it takes is a voice. One voice, that becomes a hundred, and then a thousand, unless it's silenced." Denton walked over, picking up a picture and moving it into a box.

"Why can't we spread the strike? Have another big rally and get the word out to all the sweatshop kids? Why not?" Jack got confused, Davey speaking up to him questions.

"What are we gonna do? Put an ad in the newspaper?"

"Won't people be sayin' well that's a waste of space in the papers aint it?" ellie asked, handing something to Denton that was behind her.

"No, we'll do better than that. We'll make our own paper." Denton looked at him like he had three heads. "We tell 'em they gotta join us, ain't that a good idea?"

"Yeah it is" Eleanor replied, turning to Denton. "But what do we know about printing a newspaper?" Hinting them that he could help as Denton stood up straight and looked up knowing what she was saying.

"Nothin', but our man, Denton ..." jack trailed off, standing next to ellie.

"Yeah, but I think our man, Denton, has something more important to do." Dave patted his arm, "I mean, he's going to be an ace war correspondent. Right, Denton?" He said sarcastically.

The man began chuckling as Davey looked up at him with a smile, Jack watched with eagerness, Les ignored whatever was happening and Eleanor pouted at him.