they whisper in the night

T H E Y W H I S P E R I N T H E N I G H T

As a demon, Jeongguk's job description only contains four rules. One: be a demon. Two: do your responsibilities well. Three: your loyalties must lie to Hell. Four: don't mess with Satan's Pomeranian puppy named Lucifer. That's really all there is, until he was summoned by some weirdo human and now he's seriously considering a career change from being Hell's punisher to a full-fledged nanny.

a.k.a where jk is a tsundere and lisa can't stop crying

also a.k.a where jk's love language is acts of service

* * *

Jeongguk's used to humans summoning him at the most random times. Life is boring in Hell anyways; all he gets to do is to torture sinners and listen to their screams and pleas, and when he's lucky, he gets to play the most coveted PS4 that Asmodeus stole from Satan's game room a few months ago.

So, on one hellfull night, as he deals with another snotty human begging for his life, he hears a sound. A lullaby, almost, coming from the depths of his mind and it entices him. Having experienced it many times, though, he then eagerly gives another whip to the poor human soul's back and follows the sound like a sailor being lulled by a siren's song.

A wisp of black smoke engulfs him in an instant, a manifestation of his demon powers, and the ground suddenly disappears under his feet. When he opens his eyes, he's in an unfamiliar place. Gone was the bloody mist and rough brimstones of Hell, replaced by a small apartment and the sound of a sad song playing from somewhere.

This has happened far too many times for Jeongguk to be amazed by it, so all he does is summon his demon voice--the deep, dark, gravelly one that causes a tremble in the Earth and sends humans running away--and speaks.

"You have summoned me; I shall answer," he says, opening his arms wide and proud. Barely, he feels the ground shake with the volume of his voice. "The demons of Hell only answer to one master, but for you I shall make an exception. Ask away, human, and I will consider your wishes."

He prepares himself for the possibilities. Humans only make this once in a lifetime call when they're on the edge of desperation, and Jeongguk has had eons of experience to guess what this one would want. Money, maybe? Mortals are greedy like that; he knows as much. Perhaps a love spell... fame, knowledge of the world, inhuman abilities?

Yet, there's no response.

Jeongguk inwardly sighs and channels his demon-ness again. It's fine, he thinks, mortals usually get over their shock in 10 minutes or so. It's not everyday they see an 8-foot, alabaster-skinned demon with glowing red eyes that mirrored the depths of Hell once you look at them. "Desperation drove you into calling one of the creatures of deceit. I have come from the bowels of--"

Sniff, sniff.

In the first time since he was created, Jeongguk stutters over his words. Actually stutters. He's never been easily distracted, but he stumbles over his lines and makes the mistake of looking down, because he unceremoniously meets the teary eyes of a blonde-haired woman.

"What are you--"

"Crap, I'm sorry," she says in a wet voice, sniffling as she grabs a tissue from a nearby Kleenex box. "I didn't know the pizza delivery guy was here. Uh, how much is everything?"