The wedding

Lexa slept in late the day of Clarke's wedding. She'd purposely come home and drank a couple more beers so that she would sleep well through the next morning. She knew it was bad to fall into the old habit, but she also didn't want to spend the morning thinking about Clarke, knowing that she was about to marry someone that wasn't her.

By the time she did wake up, it was about noon and it was time for her to start thinking about making her way down to the beach. The storm clouds were starting to roll in and she didn't want to still be pounding long sticks of metal into the sand when the lightning started to strike.

Lexa was loading the conductors into the back of her truck from where they'd been staying behind her old home when Anya drove up. Lexa was surprised to see her sister, especially when she exited her car dressed up.

"Don't you have a wedding to be at?" Lexa asked. "I heard the whole town was invited."

"I'm on my way there now," Anya responded.

"I'm pretty sure this house is out of the way for you if you're on your way to the Blake Plantation."

"You ran after Clarke last night," Anya cut right to the chase. Lexa knew that her sister had come to her in order to check on her, but she also knew the older woman would never come right out and say her intentions.

"No one else knew what was wrong," Lexa replied honestly.

"She's not your responsibility anymore."

"I know," Lexa nodded. She also knew that Anya was just trying to protect her. "And I told her as much. I told her what her leaving did to me."

"You did?" Anya's eyes widened just slightly, only enough for someone who knew her well to realize that she was surprised. "What'd she say to that?"

Lexa could have told her sister about the almost-kiss, but decided against it. It seemed too personal. Besides, even though she knew Anya would never tell anyone, Lexa would never put Clarke's relationship with Finn at risk like that. She cared to much about her, even after everything.

Realizing that Lexa was hiding something, and that she wasn't going to give it up, Anya took a step back towards her car. "So that's it then? You're going to head down to the beach and pretend that everything is normal while the love of your life marries some random guy?"

"Life goes on," Lexa responded.

"You're pretty quick to let go of something you've been holding onto for so long."

"I can't control her any more than I can control the weather," Lexa sighed as she gestured to the sky around them.

Without another word, Anya turned and left. Lexa was down her driveway as well not two minutes later, but instead of turning left at the end of the street and Anya had, she turned right.

Lexa was just about through town when she noticed that her gas gauge read near empty. She groaned and pulled up to the gas station. Town was eerily quiet, but Lexa knew where most people were.

"I take it you're not invited to the wedding," the gas attendant spoke.

"Let me just get my gas in peace Murphy," Lexa sighed as she stuck the nozzle in her gas tank. Murphy simple shrugged and walked off.

Lexa was just closing her gas tank, ready to hop back in her truck, when an unfamiliar car pulled up. She figured it must have been one of Clarke's New York friends in for the wedding, most likely lost. Her suspicions were assuaged when the driver rolled down his window.

Inside was a somewhat rotund, balding man with horn-rimmed glasses.

"Excuse me, can you tell me where I can find Miss. Clarke Blake? I have a very important matter to settle with her," the man spoke.