2.3

THE WOODSBORO FOOTBALL practice was cut short due to the nine o'clock curfew that was announced two weeks prior

            THE WOODSBORO FOOTBALL practice was cut short due to the nine o'clock curfew that was announced two weeks prior. Twenty-five boys, including Brian White and Steven Orth, made their way out of the smelly locker rooms, still using towels and t-shirts to wipe off the sweat that dripped down their face.

            As Brian White was only fifteen, and the neighbor of Steven, he had jumped into the passenger seat of his friend's car, waiting for Steven to join him.

            Like usual, the car ride was silent, but not anything that would be thought as uncomfortable or awkward. These two boys had practically grown up with each other, almost thinking of one another as siblings, brothers.

Steven might even consider Brian to be the only family he had left.

             Steven's parents were not home, they were never home. Any person in school could tell you that. They were both important people with important jobs, typically meaning that their business meetings would end up out of the country, causing the boy to be by himself most days.

             And what would a teenage boy do with a house by himself?

He would throw a party.

              It seemed as if every Friday something was happening at his home. He had a pool, a bar, anything that could be considered good-party-material. So, like mentioned previously, it's not a surprise that everyone knew that this boy practically lived alone.

Which for him, didn't mean anything good.

✴︎

           AS THE RAIN TRICKLED DOWN HIS window, Steven Orth was making himself dinner. With the strong smell of melted cheese lingering in his kitchen, the boy was mixing the ingredients of mac n cheese in a pot, listening to the patterned sound of rain hit his metal roof.

           Every once in awhile, the boy's eyes would glance to his house phone, remembering all the times he would call Casey when he felt lonely. She had always known what to say to him when he had missed his parents. She had always kept him company while he sat alone in the huge dining room.

         Steven had pulled the pot off the heated burner, placing it on one that had not been used, letting the noodles cool down before he ate them. Wiping his hands against his pants, he made his way to the phone, gently picking it up.

          Although he didn't press, the boy had grazed his finger over Casey's number, desperately wanting to call it. However, he knew he would be disappointed by the results. Not because someone wouldn't answer it, but because the person who would would not be Casey— but her mother.

          A soft sigh had escaped his lips as he went to place the phone back down. However, the sound of ringing had stopped him. An unfamiliar number had popped onto his screen, having him grow curious.

"Hello?"

          The line had stayed quiet at his response. It almost seemed like he had imagined the rings, despite the fact that they actually happened.

           "Hello?" He tried again, still getting no response in return.

           Thinking it was a wrong number, Steven placed the phone back down, shaking away the nervous feeling he had just received. Trying to clear his now unsure thoughts, Steven turned back to his food, grabbing something to scoop it into a bowl.

          His eyes stayed focused on the noodles as he softly scooped them out, trying to keep the stove from getting dirty from his simple meal. And he was almost successful, as he only had one scoop left. However, a loud bang from his back window had caused Steven to jump and make the mess, silently cursing to himself in the process.

         He fought the urge to ignore the sound that occurred, thinking that if he didn't acknowledge it then it never really happened. But once it occurred again, along with a pained groan, Steven had made his way to the window, swishing his curtains open.

         "Fuck!" immediately escaped his lips as he looked down at the sight. A bloody and bruised Brian White laid against his window as tears streamed down his face.

         Steven had pushed himself to the glass, trying to understand the words that escaped Brian's lips. However, with the window blocking the sound and the fact that Brian was choking on the blood that entered his throat, Steven couldn't understand the simple sentence Brian was trying to get out.

"behind you."

2.3