Chapter 9

When I woke up the next morning, I was alone in bed with a splitting headache. I rolled over and found a glass of water and painkillers on the nightstand. "You really are too good to me," I yawned, taking a couple of the pills.

I laid there for a few more minutes and let the pills start to do their work. When I was finally able to get up without the world spinning, it was later in the morning than I'd meant to sleep through. I got up and got dressed before making the slow, miserable trek back to the main house.

When I got there, Beth was naked, sitting in a trough, and drinking straight from a bottle of champagne. "If you're gonna give me a lecture too, you can save it," she called as I approached.

"No," I shook my head. "I know what today is. I was just going to ask for a sip," I said, nodding at the bottle. "I have such a hangover that I'm willing to see if this helps."

"Knock yourself out," Beth replied, handing me the bottle. "I missed you at dinner last night."

"I don't want to talk about it yet," I said just before putting the bottle to my lips. I tipped my head back and took a good sized gulp. "Thanks." I handed the bottle back and headed inside.

On my way up to my room, I met the Governor of Montana as she slipped out of my dad's room. I wish I could say that was shocking on some level. I was probably numb to it by that point, if we're being honest. Or maybe I was too hungover at the moment to care?

"Morning, Governor," I yawned, not really stopping for pleasantries.

"Charlotte," she nodded, and kept moving.

Before I made it back to my room, Jaime came up the backstairs and stopped me. "Where have you been?" he asked quietly.

"My cabin," I replied.

"You smell like tequila," he said.

"Well, I did get drunk on tequila last night. Now I'm going to go shower and figure out what to do with my day," I explained.

"You were missed at dinner last night," Jamie said.

"I don't really care. It's not like there will never be another family dinner. Besides, it's not like Beth sticks around through the whole meal."

"You're going to have to face him at some point, Charlie. You can't avoid Dad forever," he pointed out.

"Watch me." I pushed past Jamie into my bedroom, shutting and locking the door behind me. I pulled out my phone when I felt it buzz.

R: How do you feel this morning?

C: My head is killing me. It's a wonder I haven't thrown up.

R: Lots of water, and take it easy today!!

C: I think I want to move back into the cabin. I can't stay here.

R: I'll tell Colby he gets to move all your stuff back ;)

C: Most of it is still packed up. I'll load up an ATV and do it myself if I have to.

R: At the risk of admitting to seeing something I shouldn't have, is your sister okay?

C: Today is harder for her than the rest of us, for good reason. So if that's the worst she's going to do, so be it. No judgment from me.

R: Is there anything I can do?

C: Just give me a hug later.

R: I can do that.

The day my mom died, we were branding cows. Beth, Kayce, and I were given the option to go for a ride with my mom, or learn how to brand calves. Beth and Kayce chose the former; I went with the latter.