Chapter 1

My name is Charlotte Dutton - Charlie, for short. I am the youngest child of John and Evelyn Dutton. My father owns the largest ranch in Montana - the Yellowstone Ranch. One day, it will be up to us - Lee, Jamie, Beth, Kayce, and me to run it, and keep the legacy going.

I would say that I have a decent relationship with my siblings. Some relationships are better than others. Kayce is my twin brother, and growing up, he loved to remind me that he was twelve whole minutes older than I was. When we were kids, Kayce was definitely a momma's boy, but it was definitely fair to say that I was a daddy's girl. I always preferred doing ranch work, or working with the horses than almost anything else.

When it was time to choose a career path, my dad really pushed for each of us to do something, or become something that could help the ranch. Lee stayed home, and learned how to run the ranch. Dad pushed Jamie into law school. Beth went into the business sector. Kayce ran off and joined the military after he found out he was going to be a father. I chose to go to veterinary school, so I could come home, and be the vet for the ranch.

I came back a couple years ago, and now Lee and I share a house on the grounds of the ranch. I didn't like the thought of being in my late twenties and still living with my dad. Lee was the least objectionable option at the time, and it oddly worked out.

Things seemed to be going okay for the ranch until Dan Jenkins came to town, trying to build condos and a resort right next to the ranch. Looking back, it seems like everything went to hell all at once...

The day before Lee died was a good one. Kayce brought his son, Tate, up to the ranch to see Dad. Originally, I wasn't going to go with them when they moved some bison to a different pasture, but Kayce asked, and I couldn't say no.

I saddled my horse, and rode her up to the main house, before dismounting, and tying the reins to the fence. I looked over, and saw Beth's car in front of the house. "When did Trouble come home?" I asked.

"You never left," I heard her reply over my shoulder.

I turned around to hug my older sister. "You always did come in like a tornado," I said as we pulled apart. "Who's the unlucky victim that brought you back to town?"

"Not sure yet. Dad called, and here I am," Beth replied.

"Interesting," I nodded. "I don't remember the last time all of us were here together," I mused.

"It's been years. I didn't see you in the house last night; where do you stay?" Beth asked, raising an eyebrow at me. "Is there something I need to know."

I laughed, "There's nothing you need to know. Lee and I share a cabin. It just felt weird living in the main house." 

"Doesn't seem to bother Jamie," Beth commented, judgment seeping through every word. Her feud with Jamie was no secret - but whatever the hell started it, sure is. I've asked a hundred times, and neither of them will tell me.

"Charlie!" I turned with a huge grin on my face when I heard Tate call my name.

I dropped to my knees and opened my arms for him to run into. "Tater Tot!" I giggled, hugging my nephew. "You're getting so big! How's your mom?"

"Good."

"You ready to ride today?" I asked, standing back up.

"Duh!" he laughed.

I looked up at Kayce, "It's been too long," I said, hugging my twin brother. "You look good."

"So do you," he replied. "Monica says hi."

"Hi back. You ready to go?" I asked, gesturing back to the horses.

"Let's go!" Jamie called, already on his horse.