Chapter Thirty-Two

Plan, step one: Entry-level employee demonstrates digital evidence of product quality to prospective buyer. Plan, step two: Prospective buyer grades said product, fills out an e-form assessing product and submits assessment securely via cloud-based data drop site, where mid-level manager retrieves the assessment and determines whether new B2C relationship is warranted. Plan, step three: Break yo'self! What the? Run!

Agamemnon Jefferson I had always prided himself on being a lucid dreamer, as it meant, he liked to joke with guarded employees, a way for him to work twenty-four hours a day.

Scientists say that lucid dreaming can be dangerous, though, if the dream starts to dictate the narrative.

That had never happened to Jefferson...until now.

He woke with a start, the picture of troubled sleep. Sweaty, chest heaving like he'd sprinted a marathon, momentarily confused.

It was the third time in as many nights this had happened. Each time he fell asleep in a lucid state, plotting out a new distribution system he wanted to test out. And each time, within thirty minutes of falling asleep, he'd lost control of his dream and found himself being hunted. He could never tell how many pursuers were after him or what sort of weapons they wielded.

Worst of all, every dream ended the same, with the same face staring at him.

He snatched his cell phone from the nightstand and punched a speed-dial key.

"Devante? Don't care what time it is. We need to strategize. Pick me up at the drop in fifteen minutes."