4. The Joys of Parenthood

A soft smile graced Harry's lips as he watched Hannah munching happily on her breakfast from behind his newspaper. He had just gotten word from his solicitor that they were ready to begin an investigation on Sirius Black's trial, but he wasn't worried. Soon enough they would find out there had been no trial, so now it was merely a game of waiting.

"You and I are going out today, and we will leave as soon as you are finished with your breakfast," he announced the happy toddler that was currently stuffing her cheeks with a piece of bread covered in honey. She smiled at him in response and nodded eagerly, almost dropping the bread from her tiny hand. The girl was finally starting to look like a normal four-year-old and not like a starved three-year-old, and the wizard couldn't be more pleased with the speed of her recovery.

"Where are we going?"

"We can go wherever you want, but I was thinking we make a little shopping trip to Diagon Alley. We will be getting some necessities and other things I believe will come in handy to you when you will begin to learn about magic. I am fully aware you lack a complete wardrobe at the moment so don't even try to deny it."

 The girl scratched her neck with a sheepish smile, but seemed excited about the trip, hurriedly swallowing the last bits of her meal before dashing back into her room to change. A glimmer of fond amusement danced behind his dark green eyes, before he cast a charm on himself, changing his attire immediately. Yet again one of the little tricks hidden within the Peverell library, one he wished he had been able to learn earlier, that connected his closet directly to himself, so that he didn't have to bother about wasting time for changing. Magic was making him a bit too dependent on it for his liking, but that would have to be a matter for later.

 Just as the little girl ran back into the room, adorning a set of adorable soft blue robes a dark brown owl arrived through the open window of the dining room dropping a small package in front of the man before proudly perching herself onto the backrest of Harry's chair. Hannah skipped over, offering it a small treat as the wizard checked the parcel over for any harmful spells and then opened it. He was met with a stack of papers and reports, all containing information about a certain werewolf and his current location, some even with details about his personal life and situation. It sent a hard jab through his heart just how bad Remus was doing, but he couldn't do anything about it for the moment, not until he knew for certain where his loyalties lay: with Hannah, or with Dumbledore.

"Well then, come along little fawn.", he motioned, placing the papers inside his robes with a mental note to further analyze them on a later date. Hannah grabbed his hand, eagerly urging the man to hurry up to the fireplace that the elves had prepared earlier for their journey. With a firm hold on each other, the duo stepped into the green enchanting flames and was immediately transported to the fireplace inside the Leaky Cauldron. There were a lot more people than the last time they had been there, and the crowd did nothing to ease his worries of being recognized, but at least he had put a small glamor on Hannah before they left, so the risk was lower. He spared a polite nod at the barkeeper, Tom, before maneuvering himself through the people and heading towards the entrance of the magical alley with the girl close in toe. She had yet to let go of his hand, but he didn't mind it, as this made it easier to keep her from getting lost and keep her safe. 

 "Good evening.", he greeted curtly upon entering Madam Malkins Robes For Every Occasion. "I am in need of a full wardrobe for her", he motioned to the girl peeking from behind his leg."Use materials of the highest quality, the payment won't be a problem. She needs clothes for all four of the seasons and a couple of robes for special occasions."

"Of course sir,", the witch beamed." right this way, dear, for your measurements. Would you like me to show you this season's catalog?"

 Almost three hours later the two exited the shop, having already called a house-elf to take their luggage back to the manor. Hannah skipped happily down the street ogling at each and every single shop like it was the last time she would see them, while Harry maintained his distance, not once losing sight of the little girl, while he also browsed the shops. The little witch froze in front of a shop that was all too familiar to the man, gazing in awe at the objects on display, especially the polished broom that stood proudly among a few decorative snitches.

 "I suppose I should have expected as much", he muttered under his breath while a fond smile threatened to pull at the corner of his lips. With swift and nonchalant steps he made his way behind her. "I can't get you that one yet, but I suppose it would be time for you to learn to fly on a broom. Let us go pick you a training broom, alright little fawn?"

  The statement earned him a delighted squeal from the child who rushed into the shop with a bright smile, with the wizard following closely behind, trying not to trip over his feet from trying to walk so fast behind a creature so small. He feared he would accidentally stomp the tiny girl, but didn't want to risk her running around such a busy place all by herself. At least when he was behind her people would instinctively step aside, either because of his new height- almost two meters(he finally knew how good it felt to tower over people)- or the powerful magic-infused aura that he emanated. Oh, it felt so good not to have people look down on him anymore, both figuratively and literally. He could finally look Hagrid in the face without breaking his neck.