Main Palace

Toddlers can entertain themselves pretty well. An adult would just need to supervise the child and explain things to him. Unfortunately for me, Baie was a cautious child. Instead of being curious by himself, he seemed to be wary of things and looked at his surroundings with intent. He seemed to enjoy physical activities and playing but once I got tired, he stopped playing and stayed on my side silently, watching the surroundings.

"You can play while I rest, Prince." I said as I fan myself with my hand. "I know you have a lot of energy to burn still." I was usually cold but running after a child did exhaust me.

"I will stay with Auntie." He said firmly and stood there beside me. I was surprised that be did not even do any thing. He was really disciplined, like a little soldier. I explained to him what I was doing, managing the house, and how it was similar to how the economy works.

"Learn while you are young, Little Prince. If there is a high demand, the supplies will decrease. Likewise if the supplies are high then the demand should be low. Eventually you will manage your own kingdom, if not the empire. Remember that law of supply and demand as you can apply it with almost anything." I then told him. "I gave a large supply of money for the servants so that their demand for it will become low.  This is so they do not get easily bought by another person. Of course it wouldn't work with simply that. But that is for another time," I helped him recite his numbers and counted with him."

Since he stopped having interest in moving, I decided to go home. I still had to meet with the tailors. The kitchen would sort itself out. 

However, just as I was about to pick up Baie a messenger from the main palace came.

The servant uniform was different. Unlike the male servants that I had, the messenger seemed somber and scary. He had a big muscular body that seemed to know violence if I do not cooperate.

My maids immediately went behind my back and formed two straight lines. Even the nanny went behind the line. All five of them bowed down towards the servant.

The servant from the main palace was a court servant. They reported directly under my husband and was managed by the Secretary. Naturally their rank was higher as these servants were learned and intelligent. They were respected as a lower official.

The servant read out an edict.

"Your majesty the empress, we come in the name of his majesty the emperor, the sun of the empire and the dragon of this realm. His majesty has sent an edict. You are hereby summoned to appear in court by order of his majesty as soon as you receive this edict. You are blessed by his majesty with fifteen minutes to prepare and arrive in court upon receiving this edict on this day the 37th day of early spring on the fifth year of his majesty's reign. May the blessings of the sleeping goddess protect you."

How do I even bless myself?  The edict sounded  more like a subpoena and I only had fifteen minutes to prepare.  The  travel time would take ten minutes. 

I was not even allowed to change clothes. Since my husband's servant was not even courteous to allow me to leave, I asked one of the servants to call for Parth.

I was still uncomfortable leaving the prince with anyone so I told him, "Little Prince, do you mind escorting auntie to the main palace?" And gave my hand to him. He took my hand immediately.

Parth came down from the offices with a basket of scrolls I made him write earlier as well as the books of account for the kitchen, the servant's books and the servant's payroll record. Unlike me who was getting anxious, Parth seemed excited, almost skipping. I suppose the raise in their salary with the bonuses made him happy

"My husband called me." I told Parth.

"Indeed Madame. We need his approval for major decisions." Parth said. "The Master must have called to know the details"