Chapter 2

3. I'm a moocher. It's a thing that I am.

"So, money."

"What about money?" Tyler inquires, his voice sloshy because he had just taken a huge swig of Mountain Dew.

I have a shit eating grin on my face. "The money you're giving me for being your pet." I will milk this shit for all it's worth.

He looks disgruntled. "Girlfriend. Not pet."

I wave my hand around in a it-doesn't-matter-what-I-call-it manner, and lean back across his bed and accidentally spill chips all over his comforter. He gives a glare that makes me laugh.

"I could've chosen anyone," he says. "You're lucky. To be mine." He looks pleased as he says mine. I roll my eyes.

"God," I say, disgusted and amused, "You're the possessive type?" I mean to make him stutter or blush because I love being the one to make him flustered which he rarely ever is, but instead he just grins and leans over, his breath smelling of soda, and traces his fingertips down my jaw so light I can barely feel them.

I stiffen, staring at him. He leans so close that I back up and I hear chips crush underneath me.

"I am," he whispers, his fingertips pressing more firmly against my face. "Do you like that?"

My breath catches and I see his pupils dilate, and I swear he looks like he's breathless-

He starts laughing before he even leans away so I say, "Your breath fucking smells," and push him off, and I even roll around to crush the chips more, just to annoy him. For a split second I see the pissed off expression as he sees crumbs fall to his floor, but then he's amused again.

He wipes fake tears from under his eyes, a huge smile on his face. "God, that was good. You looked pretty turned on, Cass." Is that a smirk on his face? "Pretty turned on indeed." Yes, that's a smirk. The little shit.

"I wasn't. I was trying not to laugh at your ugly face," I say stiffly.

He stares, laughs loudly, and then turns back to start scrolling on his phone. He types something and smiles. A small one, just the corners of his mouth turning up, which is how you know it's real. It pisses me off.

"Who are you talking to?" before I can stop it. What the fuck?

I sound like a jealous girlfriend and he notices.

"Why?" he asks. "We're not fake dating officially, yet, dear Cassandra."

"Why do you need me to do that, anyway? What do you need a fake girlfriend for?"

"Reasons," he says vaguely.

"There better be some money in this for me."

"We're best friends, Cassandra. You shouldn't want to charge me," he says and he is bullshitting me because he knows I'm a moocher. It's a thing that I am.

I raise my eyebrows.

He sighs. "How much, exactly?"

"What will I have to do while dating you, exactly?" I mock.

"Normal dating things? I don't know can you shut up I'm trying to-SHIT NO, WATERMELON DON'T FALL FUCK FUCK-" he yells, letting his iPhone drop from his fingers, splaying one hand across his face. "Stupid fruit ninja."

With his fingers over his face, he can't see the huge, incredibly foolish smile that spreads across my face.

I quickly stop smiling as his fingers drop from his face and he looks up at me.