Chapter 6

Hi guys! The times on the titles are very important to understand what's happening in this chapter, because it will go from the middle of the party, to the beginning, and back again. (uh, if that makes sense.)

15. 11:23 o'clock

I'm laughing. Like, a lot. And I have this strange love for everyone in the room.

I'm dancing, too. Laughing and dancing, and spinning around so my black, thin dress spins out around my thighs and my hair flies everywhere.

Cameron... Not sure where he is, I think. And then I'm laughing again.

"Josh," I grab at him when I see him. "Joshhhhhhh--"

"You're drunk, great," he says, and smiles at me in that way he does; like he's a lot older and I'm a little girl, and it's amusing to him. "Where is Ty, Cassie? Shouldn't he be taking care of drunk little you?"

In my drunk state, I nearly say, Tyler's not my boyfriend and why is Tyler even here? but I stop myself. "He's...somewhere."

"Okay," he says. And then he twirls me around and my head is thrown back again and laughter is the only thing I know.

16. 8:30 o'clock

"You look so pretty," Cam says and twirls a piece of my hair around his index finger. He looks beautiful as per usual.

"No," I say, embarrassed. He looks at me, his eyes are dark and blue and green and everything beautiful, and I feel hot and cold all over.

"Yes," he says. "Drinks," he says. "We need drinks. I'll be right back."

He kisses my knuckles, his eyes focused on mine, and it's probably the sexiest thing anyone has ever done to me.

17. 9:20 o'clock

Cameron is somewhere playing beer pong with his buddies.

I see him before he sees me. His strong jaw, and strong arms. (He spent all summer working out. I thought he was ridiculous with his protein drinks.)

"Tyler," I say, tipsy. All I can think about is how angry he had made me, ruining me and Cam's kiss.

His eyebrows raise. "Cass, you're drinking?"

"Yes," I say and very slowly raise my cup to my lips. "I have a..a bone to pick with you." Smooth, Cassandra.

"Do you," he laughs, and rolls his eyes. It makes me angry he's not taking me seriously. It makes me angry he gave me butterflies.

I push at his chest. This cracks his careless armor. His eyes narrow.

"Yeah," I say. "Bitch."

And then he's laughing again. As always. "Go find your boyfriend, Cassandra," he says.

"I thought that was you," I say. His face goes all soft, all blank. His lips part, and his eyes are liquid.

I snort drunk laughter, and expect him to laugh, too. Because we're best friends. Because we think the same things are funny.

His face hardens, and his lip curls up.

"Stop playing around," he says, and he looks, well shit, he looks hurt. He knocks my shoulder when he turns to leave.

I feel like I'm going to vomit. Thinking about it makes it feel really true.

"Oh, god," I groan and then start running. My knees hit the bathroom floor hard, and all the alcohol comes up, tasting bitter and terrible and much worse coming back up than it did going down.