Chapter 3

I'M BACK!!!! AFTER A WHOLE FUCKING YEAR. I KNOW IM AWFUL. 

I changed the ending to the last chapter so it's here at the top.

This cold disdain felt so much worse, it was like Jamie wasn't worth the energy it took to get mad, he was so beneath the Captain that he was like an ant that you didn't even bother to step on.

He wanted to matter. But it looked like his suspicions were right and he would never matter to man like Steve.

Jamie dug his phone out from his bed covers and dialed a familiar number. She picked up on the first wring.

Chapter 3

Steve wandered the streets of Brooklyn. His bare feet padded across the ground as he paced the familiar streets with few familiar buildings. His mind wandered as he walked, not feeling the chill in the air due to his super well everything. He thought about his name and how it had looked so familiar and right on Jamie's skin and yet when he had met the boy's eyes, all he saw was a stranger.

He thought about his mother and what she would say if he brought home a man as his soulmate. What would she have said? How would she have reacted? Would she have welcomed something so unconventional? Something so....wrong?

Not that it was wrong now, but well not based on what the law said. But what about what the Catholic Church said. It was a sin, but like before he thought of all the lives he had taken in WWII fighting for his country. Wasn't that ok in the eye of the law but wrong by the standards of the Bible?

Steve dragged his fingers through his hair, tugging on it in uncertainty. He found his feet slowing and stopping in front of an unfamiliar building. He looked around and realized he recognized an old dilapidated building on the corner of the street that had been brand new 80 years ago. His eyes refocused in front of him. This is where he had used to live for the first 16 years of his life.

He examined the building that had replaced the old one which had been a serious fire hazard. It was taller than the last one that had stood here. He check the alleyway beside it and saw a fire escape he could easily jump up to and climb to the top of the building.

He did so with ease. His bare feet probably received even more damage but he was too distracted to care let alone feel any damage.

Upon reaching the top, Steve could see a lightening of the haze that covered the skyline of New York which he was in the midst of.

His body clock naturally calculated the time telling him it was just past 6 in the morning. He had been walking around Brooklyn aimlessly for the last 7 hours.

The super soldier sighed and flopped spread eagle on his back onto the ground staring up at the dark grey sky above him.

He closed his eyes and immediately Jamie filled his dark vision. The picture of that face and all the expressions he had seen on it thus far.

It was so strange to have someone fill up his brain in such an all-encompassing way. Since the serum, his brain was always doing at least two things at once, but now all that filled his mind was that face.

As he flipped through all of Jamie's expressions he realized something kind of odd. None of them seemed positive. They were all negative or neutral expressions. You would think that when you looked at whoever your soulmate was you would be filled with positive emotions, or at least that's how Steve always thought it would be when/if he found his.

It could still always be a fake.... But no that didn't seem right. There was an instinctual feeling in his gut of wrongness when he tried to picture someone else with his name on their skin. This was all such a fucking mess.