Chapter 6: Uncharted Territory / Northern

My eyes opened, and my heart sank. A room that was supposed to me mine, but didn't feel like it was, stretched out before me. Letting out a low groan, I sank back into my make-shift bed, and pulled the blanket over my head. This wasn't some messed up nightmare.

With no point in lying around in my cell, I rose to my feet. My bones groaning and popping as I moved. The hard floor was not merciful on my body last night, but I probably would feel worse if I had slept on that sorry excuse for a bed instead. 

I went for the suitcase of the few belongings I had, to select clothing for the day. Suddenly, I realized that I didn't know what would be appropriate dressing. I didn't know if these guys would be eating breakfast first, doing training, or something else that I couldn't think off the top of my head. I also didn't know what my father would approve of, not that I cared about his opinion. However, I was still his ward and therefore he could set boundaries on what I could wear.  I shivered at the thought of what he would think was 'appropriate' considering what era he was born in...I eventually decided on, a dark plain t-shirt, thick navy leggings, a spare set of black gloves, a black sports bra (even though I had nearly nothing on that part of me) and just switched out my socks. 

My hair was another story though. I must have been having a wrestling match in my sleep; it was a mess. To add to it I hadn't redone the braid before bed last night.  Meaning that I had a mostly undone, frizzy, rat tail hanging from my head instead of an actual braid. Brushing all the knots out took longer than it should have (Thank the Lost Queen, I decided to pack my hair brush), but I eventually got it done. However I felt too tired to style it into anything, so I just let it fall naturally. 

There was an alarm clock in the room. It read, 6:24. There wasn't much for me to do in here, other then read a book or stare at a wall. Curiosity, forced my body and I started to walked towards the door. It opened automatically. They didn't lock me in here? We're they honestly that stupid? It's practically begging me to escape.

I took my time, walking down the halls, and made note of everything around me. It seemed quiet, suggesting that no one was up, yet. It wasn't a too farfetched theory, as it was a Saturday after all.

My stomach began to growl, and I absent mindedly started towards the kitchen. Maybe they had some fruits I could scald in the sink. My foot steps were quiet, muffled by the socks incasing my feet, but in the the silent hall ways they seemed much louder. Well, almost silent hallways.

As I neared the kitchen it became apparent that I wasn't the only one awake. The voices were the obvious indicator on who wasn't in bed.  Ironman, Hulk, Falcon, and my father. I shouldn't be surprised he was awake, he worked in military, and that usually instilled the habit of the getting up early. 

I couldn't really understand what they were sayin, but the talking quickly hushed once I got close enough for them to hear me. I quietly sighed, and walked into the kitchen. Even though I probably wouldn't find anything to eat in there now, I probably should let them know who it was, so they didn't think I was an intruder. 

I just stood there at the door way. I could feel all of their eyes, their gazes, drilling into me. One in particular was more obvious then the others. My father's eyes hadn't left me, I could see the gears in his head turning, documenting everything he could find just by looking at me. I just kept my face blank, knowing that I couldn't have hidden anything physical from him, but if well controlled I could hide everything else.

"Morning Kiddo," Falcon greeted me, enthusiastically. 

He was clearly trying to get to let my guard down. Acting happy, calm, and interested in me and my thoughts, was a common tactic used to get children to talk. But it wouldn't work on me. Though, maybe I should give in slightly. It would make gathering more intel easier.