Chapter 10: An Okay Time of the Year

"I don't think this is a good idea, Steve," I said to my friend, "Me and North are just barely beginning to talk again. I did something right, and I don't want to screw that up."

The late night pianos lessons I had some how let become a normality. Though, as a parent I probably shouldn't encourage a teenager to stay up till passed 1 am. However, we honestly talked the most then. I wasn't sure if it was some type of exchange of information (a conversation for lessons), or because we were completely alone, but Northern seemed to open up easier then. I even started to learn how to play her favorite songs, just so I could teach them to her.

"Look, I know. That things are still kind of shaky with the two of you," Steve said, "But I think this would be good for the both of you. A day of fun, outside of the mansion, will give you both happy memories of each other. Besides, you still haven't gotten her anything for Christmas."

I sighed, "Well, I....I just haven't had a chance."

"Then this will be your chance. Besides, Me, James, Sam, and Riley, will be coming with you."

"I'm not sure if she's going to be thrilled about James coming."

"I know that they have their differences. James feels bad for hurting her, but hasn't really had a chance to make it up to her."

"Let me guess, she hasn't given him a chance to."

Steve nodded.

I sighed, "I know she's stubborn, but I can't make her forgive someone."

"I know, but maybe a day of fun will hopefully help her open up."

...

Well, it wasn't going as bad as I thought. Northern was on edge outside of the mansion. That I expected, even with sunglasses covering her eyes, gloves on her hands, large jacket with a hood, long pants, and snow boots, hiding who she was. She even started to lean towards me, on the busy street. Which was weird, considering we, while now on speaking terms, were not that close.

She didn't really interact with James and Riley. Northern clearly was to busy searching the crowds for threats. I mentally cursed H.Y.D.R.A. I knew that she had been taught to search crowds, Christin clearly made sure she would've known that (not that I wasn't grateful, it meant she could always be ready to defend herself), but she shouldn't have to be on the look out for danger. Not at her age. I felt my fists clench, at the thought. Yeah, no 14 year old should have a deadly terrorist group hunting them down.

Sam and Steve had to leave me and Northern on our own, for about an hour to pick up a few things. So, left to our own devices we decided to do the same. Shopping, wasn't as pleasant as I thought it would be. I didn't even manage to find something for Northern, yet. She didn't appear interested in anything. We went to the jewelry section, but she was like her mom, regular diamonds didn't interest her. And Morgan was right about the makeup.

She did respond to a something, once we found a small comic and hobby shop. The door opened with the jingle of a bell. An actual bell, not a recording of a bell; I didn't think anyone still had that.

"Welcome, to Magic Realm," The cashier said.

I nodded to them while Northern wandered into the back of the shop.

"You and your daughter comic fans?" The cashier said.

"Uhm, well...Not really me, she's...uh kind of taking the lead here," I said.

"Aww, trying to learn more about her interest. Wish my old man did that. You must be close."

If only they knew. I nodded, and went to find Northern. Thankfully it was a small shop, so it didn't take long. She was sitting on the floor in the back, where the older comics were kept. I tried not to wince when I saw she was reading some of the old Captain America comics. The ones from the forties.

"You find anything interesting?" I quietly said.

She looked up at me, her face blank, but there was slight amusement in her features, "Are these accurate?"  

"Probably not," I shook my head.

She ended up buying it.

...

We met up with Steve, Sam and the boys near the outdoor ice rink at Rockefeller Center. The large crowd making Northern tense again. 

"Hey! Kiddo, what you got there?" Sam said to Northern. 

She handed over the comic, and Sam started grinning like a mad man.

"Oh, no," Steve whispered, which got the boys interested.

Riley let out an evil laugh, "I like your style."

"You find anything?" Steve asked me quietly.

"Not yet," I whispered back.

"We were thinking about going ice skating," Steve said to everyone, "Any objections?"

Well this was going to be interesting.

...

Steve, I could've kissed you. Ice skating had been the best idea ever. Northern, though her face was still indifferent, had a excitement in her eyes. There was a certain rush to her movements as she put on the rented skates.

And once she was on the ice. She smoked us. 

I should've put it together. Cryopath, ice skating. This was something that she would've been taught how to do in order to practice control and balance. Compared to us, which was a collection of toddlers on a soapy kitchen floor, she was an Olympic champion. 

As soon as she took to the ice, she started doing laps at first, before wandering into the middle of the ice. There she started doing small spins, and twists. Eventually, getting lost in her craft and starting to do bigger jumps and twirls. I started to smile, watching her. I hadn't seen her do anything like this, but training. Passion flowed through her movements, and something clicked in my head. She was enjoying herself. Having fun. Like a normal kid.

That didn't last long though. I wasn't the only one watching her. A few of the other skaters started applauding her, and that snapped her back into reality. She slowed, the passion and life draining from her movements. Joining the crowd, pretending to be average, unnoticeable. Eventually she got off the ice, and just sat on a nearby bench waiting for us to finish. 

Northern just sat there, her face unreadable like always, as if she was nothing but a statue. It didn't settle well with me. Northern was always quiet, so quiet that she seemed to be invisible. Like she didn't want to be seen or heard. Which made sense, considering that many of her mom's people had to do that to survive, to bleed into the back ground.  

But I didn't want that for her. Northern didn't belong in the back ground. She was strong passionate, smart, beautiful, just like her mom. Her mom, who could only shine in the shadows where she was born. A gemstone that the world never got to see. I didn't want that for her. To just be a name on a mission list. 

I looked at her face, slight envy in her features. How to get that passion back into her being? Disappointment had been in her movements we she left the ice and took of the skates.

Maybe I knew what to get her for Christmas after all. 

A/N:

Well this is done. Short but done. Next chapter, Northern!