Epilogue: Like a Book

"Why won't you take the throne, Alastair?" Cordelia screeched.

"I don't want to become king of a country," Alastair said simply.

"You've left the duty to me and I can read you like a book!"

"Then just pass it on!"

"If I do, the ruler of the country will be Cousin Ashleigh and you know what will go wrong," Cordelia muttered.

"Children," Sona said, bustling in. Sona would call them children even if they were seventy. "Do stop arguing. And Cordelia, you will take the throne."

"I am not ready," Cordelia said.

"Then so be it. Be ready," Sona said quickly and walked away expressionless. Cordelia breathed in and out.

"That won't happen in years, Layla. You will take the throne when you're ready. We're going to London tomorrow," Sona said quickly. "So you had better go pack your bags."

"Okay, Maman," Cordelia said.

~~~~

"Adele, I told you, I don't need help with packing," Cordelia said for the thirtieth time.

"Then what is my purpose in life?" Adele said. "I am a servant, and I am meant to help you with anything you need." Cordelia giggled womanly.

"Fine then," she mocked. "Go get my towels, my perfume, my bag..."

"Hold up," Adele laughed. "Towel. Perfume. Bag..."

~~~~

"Miss, you have a letter from Miss Lucie," Adele said from the door, carefully placing a piece of parchment on her table. Cordelia nodded her head and went to retrieve the paper.  It was a letter from Lucie. Dear, dear Lucie. She missed her so much.

Dear Daisy, (it read)

I cannot believe you're arriving in London tomorrow! We've got a room especially made for you to your likings in the palace. It's yellow, gold and full of-

Oops! I probably shan't say anymore. Everyone is excited for your family's arrival. I cannot believe you will one day be queen! For me, it is unlikely. But you had better find a suitor, and I have an idea!

James left Grace and you might have a chance with him! The secret is not out.(I will not say the 'secret' here in case this falls into the incorrect hands).

I will say no more until your arrival, my sister!

- Lucie

Cordelia smiled and Adele poked her head in through the door, telling her to hurry because the portal was ready.

A journey to London awaited her.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Just a heads up, my cover was inspired by Emerald Eyes by KleeAlise11 (I hope that was correct). I tried not to entirely copy but I loved her cover design so much! Please do not take offence.

- daisy